Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    structure in "martian chronicles" and like works

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

structure in "martian chronicles" and like works
 Login/Join

posted
I wanted to try and open a discussion on the interesting structure Bradbury uses in the Martian Chronicles, namely connecting what are essentially short stories into a larger whole, a kind of "loose novel", united by themes, with some reoccuring characters. I know Bradbury also did this with his most recent book (the name escapes me, but it connects stories like the April Witch), and to a lesser extent with the Illustrated Man. What other examples of this form could we come up with, either before or after RB? The only thing that comes to mind is Hemingway's In Our Time... anyone else?

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sherwood Anderson's "Wineburg, Ohio" is one that is similarly structured and one that Bradbury has cited as a great work of literature.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mr. Dark.
I've heard of Sherwood Anderson, in english classes, described as one of the masters of short story writing. I should dig that up. A minute ago, while shaving, It occured to me that this structure might not be limited to prose- Spoon River Anthology works along these similar lines. I wonder if any of Bradbury's story collections are intended to have even subtler underlying themes or ideas... or do you think that most have diversity, rather than unity as a goal?
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a kind of "unity in multeity" kind of critical approach . . . the idea that unity is achieved in and because of the diversity. Like a mosaic. Up close, it seems disjointed, but from further back, you see the unity in it. Like Impressionistic art, also, I suppose.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two excerpts from Bradbury on "Winesburg, Ohio"

1)

". . . Along the way he (Henry Kuttner) gave me a copy of 'Winesburg, Ohio', by Sherwood Anderson. Finishing the book, I said to myself, 'Someday I would like to write a novel laid on the planet Mars, with somewhat similar people.' I immediately jotted down a list of the sorts of folks I would want to plant on Mars, to see what would happen. I forgot 'Winesburg, Ohio' and my list. Over the years, I wrote a series of stories about the Red Planet. One day, I looked up and the book was finished . . . 'The Martian Chronicles' on the way to publication."

From the essay, "Run Fast, Stand Still . . ."

2)

"My God," I said. "Back in 1944, I was so impressed by Sherwood Anderson's 'Winesburg, Ohio' that I told myself that I must try to write something half as good, and set it on Mars. I sketched out an outline of characters and events on the Red Planet, but soon lost it in my files."

From the essay, "The Long Road to Mars".

Both essays are in "Zen in the Art of Writing". Ray Bradbury. Joshua Odell Editions, Santa Barbara. 1996.

posted Hide Post
DanB

I believe there is a definite relationship between Masters' Spoon River Anthology and Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio, and that many of Bradbury's works (The Martian Chronicles in particular) are cut from the same cloth.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way in which Martian Chronicles became an accidental novel, gradually over time, has always fascinated me. It's a very happy accident, I think.

The structure, or lack of it, made for a much richer experience than a more traditional approach might have given us.

I'm not sure MC can really be called a novel, but it's somehow much more than a short story collection.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post