Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury EC Comic Book Adaptations
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury EC Comic Book Adaptations
 Login/Join

posted
For all Bradbury Fans,

I recently produced a new one-hour documentary for American Movie Classics (AMC) titled "Tales from the Crypt: From Comic Books to Television." The documentary is an examination of the history behind the famous EC horror and science fiction comic books of the 1950's and the pop culture they inspired.

EC Comics, of course, struck up a collaboration with Mr. Bradbury (by initially stealing his stories!) and adapted 26 of his short stories into comic book form. The results are some of the finest comic book stories ever produced.

The documentary touches on this collaboration. But the new DVD release of this show features a 56-minute roundtable discussion between Mr. Bradbury and EC Comics writer/editor/artist Al Feldstein, moderated by comic book historian Jerry Weist (author of "Ray Bradbury: An Illustrated Life"). This meeting - the first ever in depth discussion between Ray Bradbury and Al Feldstein - took place in Los Angeles in November of 2003. It is absolute magic for all Bradbury and EC Comics fans!

The DVD is currently available exclusively through the website www.cryptdvd.com

If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to write to me at questions@cryptdvd.com

Chip Selby

Posts: 3 | Location: Reisterstown, MD USA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, sounds like a must-have! Any way for folks outside N.America to get hold of a copy?

Phil (in the UK)
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic, the site to which the link provided by cselby takes you provides an e-mail address for questions. I bet that if you sent an e-mail, they would let you know the price and shipping costs for orders to the U.K. The e-mail address for inquiries is:

questions@cryptdvd.com

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic,

I'm in discussions with Anchor Bay UK to do a release over there, but it may take a while.

If you have a multi-region DVD player that can take/output NTSC, I can sell you one from here. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you a price on shipping.

Chip

Posts: 3 | Location: Reisterstown, MD USA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I wish I could see the 26 comic book adaptations!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those interested, they recently published "The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel". Published by ibooks, Simon and Schuster, NY. 2003. ISBN: 0-7434-7476-7. It has an introduction by Ray Bradbury. It includes graphic versions of:

A Sound of Thunder
The City
Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed
The Golden Apples of the Sun
Night Meeting
A Piece of Wood
Come Into My Cellar
The Visitor
It Burns Me Up!
The April Witch

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oooh...I want one.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine through Amazon.com. By coincidence I actually received it on Ray's birthday last year.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a listing of the EC comic adaptations of the stories of Ray Bradbury which appeared during the 1950's, and to read those great comic book stories, click on the link below. To find and read a particular story, type the name of the story in the search engine, "Mars Will Search No More!", on the right hand side of the page:

https://marswillsendnomore.wor...y+Bradbury&search=Go

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the SATURDAY EVENING POST magazine in 2019, the link below will take you to an article called "Ray Bradbury: Comic Book Hero", which discusses Ray's love for and involvement in comics throughout his life:

https://www.saturdayeveningpos...ury-comic-book-hero/

posted Hide Post
The Schaumburg Township District Library of Schaumburg, Illinois is hosting an on-line Zoom presentation, "Ray Bradbury & Comics", on March 31, 2021 from 7 pm to 8:30 pm (central time). Ray loved the comics medium, and was a regular attendee of the San Diego ComicCon. As of today's date, there are 62 seats remaining for the Library's Zoom presentation. For more information, click on the link below:

https://schaumburg.libnet.info...PK_CHC-wwdQnOZZhf_zA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

posted Hide Post
The Ray Bradbury Experience Museum in Waukegan, Illinois has posted on YouTube the March 31, 2021 Zoom presentation, "Ray Bradbury & Comics", put on by the Schaumburg Township District Library. To access the presentation, just click on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNKFQauaepI

posted Hide Post
Last Halloween, a gentleman who goes by the handle TheHolderofTales posted, on YouTube, three of the Ray Bradbury stories as adapted and illustrated by EC Comics: "The Coffin", "There Was An Old Woman", and "The Handler." However, he also added his own voiceovers and sound effects, playing all the roles and providing a live performance of these comic book tales. They are all quite well done. To listen to them, and to see Graham Ingels' great artwork as well, click on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaiIHtlX0DU&t=105s

posted Hide Post
For those who may not know the story, the link below will take you to a brief video about how Ray Bradbury became involved with EC Comics back in the 1950's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYDDOoeAP98

And the link below will take you to a highly entertaining 1991 interview by Bob Costas with EC publisher William M. Gaines, in which Mr. Gaines discusses both Mad Magazine and the EC Comics line (the best comic books ever published!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56sahlfm4NM&t=800s

posted Hide Post
EC artist, writer and editor Al Feldstein, speaking to Ray Bradbury at the 2002 San Diego Comic-Con on adapting his stories for EC Comics:

"To have the privilege to take this guy's work, which was spectacular, and adapt it into the comic format, and try to be faithful to it, all of it, because every word is precious. It was a great pleasure and also a great tutorial for me as a writer. And I was really just a part-time writer. I wasn't really a professional writer. I was an artist, and you're an inspiration to me as an artist, because the way you wrote. You wrote like a painting. You took words that were colors and phrases that were brushstrokes, and you painted a visual picture that everyone in their own minds saw."