Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    All Summer In A Day Video
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Summer In A Day Video
 Login/Join

posted
I would love to get a filmed version of “All Summer In A Day”. I know that The Learning Corporation of America did one for TV in 1982 but when I search the Internet for a DVD or VHS I fail. Can anyone help? -- Thanks

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been asked about several times before. Here's one of the answers: https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...961071011#6961071011

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only current online source for ordering is here:
http://www.magiclantern.ca/Search/ProductTitleList.asp?...ummer%20in%20a%20day
...and it's VHS only.

http://www.ohanalearning.org apparently has it on DVD, but you will have to phone to order, as they don't have a full catalog online.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the leads. I'll let you know if things work out.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd appreciate that, as I don't have it at all. Tried to tape it when it was shown on "Wonderworks" and kept missing it.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magic Lantern is restructuring so no luck there. The ohanalearning.org source looks promising though. Just called them and had a very pleasant conversation. They point out that “All Summer In A Day” is a very popular DVD. They will send me an e-mail order form so that I can order and pay by check. One caution though. The phone number that is shown on the link that you gave me is incorrect. It is 1-877-766-4262. The correct number is 1-877-776-4262. Thanks again for all the help. I’ll be sure to let you know if I have any problems.

posted Hide Post
Just stumbled across this on the Internet. It’s a comment about “All Summer In A Day”:

“I didn't know this movie was based on a short story by Ray Bradbury until a couple of years later when I read the story. But that's not why I remember this film. I saw it in my 6th grade reading class. It's about a group of kids who live on Venus where it rains all the time. The sun comes out only once for an hour every seven years. I won't say any more about what happens, but if you've seen it, you know how it ends. When the end credits started rolling, everyone in the classroom started laughing. I wondered why until I looked over and saw one girl crying. I then laughed too. It was hilarious. The entire class was laughing at her. The girl responded by giving everyone the finger. We had a substitute teacher that day, and the poor guy didn't know what to do, so he went next door and told the teacher there what was going on, and she came in and gave us a very stern lecture about hurting other people's feelings and that we should be ashamed of ourselves. She also warned us that we would be in big trouble if we made fun of her out in the hallway. I thought, jeez, it's only a movie.”

Chapter 31 here again. What I find so sad and frightening about this is that most of the people in the class laughed. What I find heartening is the one girl in the class who didn’t laugh, but cried. Maybe there is hope for us.

posted Hide Post
quote:
What I find so sad and frightening about this is that most of the people in the class laughed. What I find heartening is the one girl in the class who didn’t laugh, but cried. Maybe there is hope for us.

This goes back to Socrates and Plato, who argued that the masses never "get it". There are always "the few" who are destined for excellence. The masses seem to simply lack the maturity, intelligence and sensitivity to fully engage with life in a meaningful way. Thus, apparently, it always was. The few are the ones who are the great authors, artists, philosophers, etc. The many (as in Jonathan Livingston Seagull) are simply scrambling for food--a bare physical existence. The poetic, spiritual, intellectual, are just beyond them.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right you are.

posted Hide Post
Someone posted a link to this before https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...631020011#7631020011 which resulted in comments, but you are the first to post a copy of the text. Thanks!

Can someone please post Ray's quote about the story "it makes us ashamed," etc.?

posted Hide Post
Success! Received “All Summer In A Day” DVD, viewed it and it’s first rate. I’m very happy to have been able to see this again after all these years and that, because all of you were so generous with information. Many thanks!

The DVD is available at:

THE OHANA FOUNDATION
19770 STEVENS CREEK BLVD
CUPERTINO, CA 95014-2456

Phone toll free: 1-877-776-4262

They will ask for your e-mail address so that they can e-mail you an order form. The cost is $53 shipped.

Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31,

Good to hear that Ohana worked out. Now I know for sure that they actually have it (and deliver!) I may try to order it myself. Let's see if they will ship internationally...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have a place for “Country” on their order form and they wrote “USA” under my address when they shipped, so I believe they will.

Best to you.

posted Hide Post
For those who may be interested, here is the blurb that preceded the original publication of “All Summer In A Day” in the March, 1954 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

“Here is the newest and one of the most vividly touching of Ray Bradbury’s poetic legends of alien planets--and as a surprise, it’s setting is not Mars but Venus. Like Mr. Bradbury’s Mars (and even, for that matter, his Terra), this Venus is not an astronomy-textbook planet measurable by instruments and conforming to mechanistic laws, but a mirror (like that greatest Looking-Glass of them all) leading to a world of wonder…and reflecting more of ourselves than we can see unaided.”
--Anthony Boucher and J. Francis McComas, © 1954 by Fantasy House, Inc

posted Hide Post
All Summer in a Day has recently popped up for viewing, in three parts, on YouTube. Click here:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=all+summer+in+a+day&search=Search

As this is copyrighted material (which is against the rules), it may not be there for long. Catch it while you can...

- Phil