Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Flying Machine- questions

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Flying Machine- questions
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyoneI'm currently studying the short story "The Flying Machine" of Bradbury's at school.
I am having trouble understanding the concepts. Could anybody lend me a hand?
These are the questions:
1. Why did the emperor call for his guards to execute the flier?
2. Do you agree with the emperor's concerns? Why or why not?
3. What would you have done if you had been the emperor?
4. What do you think was Ray Bradbury's purpose in writing "The Flying Machine"?
5. What comment is he making on human nature?
6. Why do you think Bradbury set the story in China AD 400?

Posts: 3 | Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regular posters on this site are very reluctant to do the homework assignments of students for them. These questions should not be that hard for someone who has read the story...answering them just takes some thought and imagination. I think you'll find people more responsive if YOU try to answer these questions first, and then ask for feedback on YOUR thoughts.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Excellent response. I have to chuckle a little when I see these posts as well. How are the rest of us supposed to relate how we see something when Ray himself sees it entirely different.

A thought just struck me. I do some painting--abstract--due to the fact that I can't paint "things." But I don't name my paintings because I would rather the observor come up with their own impressions of what I have painted. Perhaps the same thing could be said for Ray's writings, i.e, there is no wrong answer. Everyone will have a little slant on what a story may mean, or not mean as it may be.

For the student, their perception(s) of a story of Ray's should reflect their thoughts and impressions not to be clouded or otherwise influenced by the rest of us as web members.

When I was given the opportunity to teach "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" for a class of eight graders, I was able to incorporate an interview I had with Ray. But the gist here was what got Ray thinking to write this story, not any hidden or deep meaning.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post