Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Do you live in Illinois?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you live in Illinois?
 Login/Join

posted
More specifically, Lake County?

If so, any chance you could get to Lake County Discovery Museum before 16 August 2009?

Why?

To take a look at this exhibition about circuses, including photographs of local circus parades and carnivals.

And why would that be?

In the hope that there might be some images of carnivals in Waukegan, c.1932. The year the Dill Brothers Combined Shows supposedly came to town, and Ray Bradbury encountered Mr Electrico. Is there ANYTHING in this exhibition that might be of interest to us? Can you take photos of anything that is?

If I could get there myself, I most certainly would, but there's a few thousand miles of ocean in the way...

(For information on what we currently know for sure about Dill Bros, see this earlier post from Sam Weller, Bradbury's official biographer.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil~ Sam Weller lives in Chicago. Lake County is north, an hour drive. Now there's a fellow that should attend.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point! But Sam has, alas, tended not to frequent these boards of late.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted a similar request for help on a Waukegan messageboard (www.wauktalk.com). So far, one response, with a circus poster from 1934.

Follow that thread here (where I am posting as "Forrester". And yes, I am planning to visit Illinois later this month, but not in time for the Lake County exhibit.)

- Phil