Ray Bradbury Forums
August 2003-- Martian Chronicles month? (And why...)

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6941037901

29 June 2003, 12:34 AM
octobercountry
August 2003-- Martian Chronicles month? (And why...)
Well, I'm all ready to start re-reading Dandelion Wine in a couple of days, as that is to be the book of the month for July. But as for August....how about The Martian Chronicles? Or has that book already been covered recently--I'm fairly new to the board.

Some very cool information here--I recently discovered that on 27 August Mars will be closer to the earth than it has been for the past 60,000 years. (For information on this event, as well as plenty of interesting links to additional articles and photographs, you can check out http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_preview_021108.html .) I've seen Mars often in the Eastern sky over the past couple of weeks, just before bedtime--burning away with that distinctive red colour; it's very bright in the sky already. I've decided to mark the occasion by re-reading The Martian Chronicles during August. It's been a while since I've read the book from beginning to end, though from time to time I have re-read certain favourite chapters.

Can anyone recommend any other Mars-related reading during the month? I figured I'll also read Wells' The War of the Worlds--I haven't pulled that one off the shelf recently, either. (I have a great copy on hand, illustrated by Joseph Mugnaini, who has done all those great illustrations for various Bradbury volumes.) Oh, and of course I'll have to watch "Mars Attacks!" I don't know how many people here are familiar with that Tim Burton film, but it's a very funny and bizarre story--rather like a spoof on those great old 1950's sci-fi films. It just cracks me up--very amusing!
29 June 2003, 02:47 AM
Mr. Dark
Ray loved the Edgar Rice Burroughs series: Princes of Mars and Warlord of Mars (something like that). I've never read them, but since he cites them as an influence, I feel like I should check them out.
29 June 2003, 04:46 AM
dandelion
"Podkayne of Mars," by Robert A. Heinlein, is not to be missed.
29 June 2003, 10:03 AM
Green Shadow
Get ready to party on August 28, 2003:
http://www.marstoday.com/viewpr.html?pid=11958
29 June 2003, 10:04 AM
Green Shadow
Sorry....it's August 27, 2003.
29 June 2003, 01:03 PM
WritingReptile
What a shame we aren't ready to launch a manned mission to Mars. Maybe Mars will launch a manned mission to us

I'm all for reading MC in August. It's my birthday on the 23rd, one day away from Ray's and pretty close to "Mars Day".
29 June 2003, 01:40 PM
octobercountry
Green Shadow--thanks for the link to the Planetary Society pages. Very cool that they're collecting birthday wishes for Ray--and that "The Planetary Society also will host Internet events with Bradbury near the time of Mars Day." I'll have to keep an eye on these pages to see what all is going on as the day draws nearer. (Oh, and WritingReptile--happy birthday in advance!)
10 July 2003, 01:14 AM
groon
I just happen to have read Out Of The Silent Planet, by C.S.Lewis. Very interesting, wierd stuff. I'm not sure what I beleive in any more, after that book. I'd definately recommend it. It's easy reading, and one of my new favorite sci-fi/fantasy classics. I'm currently reading the second book in the trilogy, Perelandra.
10 July 2003, 01:42 AM
Nard Kordell
groon:

Hey! C.S.Lewis was friends of Tolkien, of Lord of the Rings. That's the kinda stuff you are up against here with 'Out of The Silent Planet'. Also, check out the Lewis Website. The first statement by Lewis at the entrance to the site, should set the agenda...
(click on, or type into finder): www.cslewis.org

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-10-2003).]
10 July 2003, 03:07 PM
groon
Thanks for the link. I know the two were friends, but I just never could get into Tolkien's stuff. His descriptions are a bit long winded, I think. I've tried reading a couple of his books, but just couldn't get past the first chapter or so. I saw the first LOTR movie, and I hated it. I thought it was way overrated, so I didn't bother with the 2nd one, nor do I plan to see the 3rd. I don't think I'm cynical. I think everyone is entitled to hate at least one extremely popular book and or movie. I know people who dislike Bradbury. I think they're idiots, or maybe they missed the point, but I respect their opinions.
10 July 2003, 04:04 PM
Mr. Dark
I'll respect your opinion. I'm a lover of Tolkien's LOTR, and thought Jackson's vision of it was/has been excellent. I read the trilogy twice in HS. I liked it so well the first time, that I took a week off school my senior year and read the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy in one week. To read the 4-book set in a week allowed me to get completely immersed in the story and writing and I loved it. But, as you say, to each their own.

I would be on board with Martian Chronicles in August.
11 July 2003, 05:53 AM
dandelion
Talked today with a lady who hated "Charlotte's Web"! It truly takes all kinds. I'm friends with people who have named their kids after Tolkien characters, while I've yet to finish the series. I read "The Hobbit" and got about halfway through the first LOTR book, though I do plan to read them just to say I did.
11 July 2003, 11:39 AM
Nard Kordell
Dandelion:
I recall Avram Davidson saying he had a son...and named him Frodo...