Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Political Views

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Political Views
 Login/Join

posted
Let me begin by saying that Ray Bradburys writings have influenced me in ways that no other author has ever done. I'm 14 years old, and last year we read Fahrenheit 451 in school.

Today, one year later, I've read the book 5 times and continue learning more, it is as though every word gives me another angle.

I have a question, though: What is Ray Bradbury's political view? Judging by his harsh (but absolutely justified) criticism of censorship, he is obviously opposed to neoconservatism. Yet, when speaking of the absence of morals in the Fahrenheit 451 world, I get the feeling he's bashing liberalism at the same time.

This guy's the greatest author ever..

Posts: 1 | Registered: 17 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you find us thru some kind of search engine? This isn't exactly the easiest place on the net to get into, or out of.....welcome aboard this wayward ship. You see I'm dying to know how we continue to get new visitors ,and members even, when this old board is no longer accessible thru the homepage.

Anyway, about your question. I answer yours, if you answer mine. Deal? Well I can only kind of answer your question. I think RB doesn't like being categorized. I'll explain, kind of.

As far as I know RB does indeed have some liberal views, but he has voted for Republicans. He voted for our Governator. That's either because RB lives in L.A. where Arnold had a HUGE advantage, or because he fell for the charade, or because the other candidates sucked. Probably all three. He's definately not a conservative, probably not even a moderate. But, closer to being a Libertarian than a Democrat. The religious fervor of the right wing puts him off. That's all I know.

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope you stick around because there's plenty of room in this sandbox. Just play nice, no throwing sand.

You may want to post this question at our new digs at - https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/ubb.x/a/cfrm/f/2791083901

There's a lot more people over there. But there's a few knuckleheads, like me, who will be wandering these empty halls until they shut us down.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mars05,

Whoa, easy there young person! Watch your use of labels there and logical fallacies. Bradbury is obviously against censorship - aren't most of us? - and thus must oppose neo-conservatives? That must mean neo-conservatives are FOR censorship. Where do you make that leap? (And careful with the sweeping generalities. I'll bet I can find a topic you think shouldn't see the light of day. Then you'd be for censorship, wouldn't you? I know I am, as most probably are, depending on the circumstances.)

Take a look at the interview with Ray in the afterword of the 50th anniversary edition of F-451. Were you surprised to read that Ray doesn't believe censorship exists here in the U.S. of A?

Grasstains has an interesting response but I dare say none of us can really claim to know Bradbury's politics. The danger lies, I think, in assuming that he shares your own views, whether they're of the left or the right.

Now, if you'd care to discuss neo-conservatism. . .

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Pete. Good to see you again. Looks like it's just you and me.

I guess I was a little too anxious to give an answer, but I needed answers too. Maybe I should have told him RB is a member of The Whig Party, but he'd never believe that. Aaannd he'd never hold up his end of the deal.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 04-17-2005).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains,

Thanks. Good to be rattling around in these empty halls with you.

Whig party? I like that.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post