Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Role of Women

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Role of Women
 Login/Join

posted
Do you think Bradbury's view of women had any effect on the female characters in the novel?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do think that Ray Bradbury's view of women did have an effect on the female charcters in this novel. I dont think the role of women in this novel have a very big affect on any of the other characters in the novel. The only female that had a big affect was clarisse. But i dont think that Mildred really affects Montag much in the story at all. Ray Bradbury really doesnt metion any other women in the story other than when Mildred has a few of the neighbors over and they don't have any affect at all. So I do believe that Ray Bradbury's view of women shows in this story.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But don't you think his wife and her women friends did affect Montag by showing him, unintentionally of course, how barren and grim his life had become, spurring him on to his rebellion? Of course Clarisse had much more of a role in that, but I think the other women helped magnify or intensify his feelings of isolation and desperation.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This question can be viewed in a couple of ways. To a certain degree Bradbury must have had some kind of out look on women and their particular standing and partake in society. The main thing to remember is that it really does depend on the century you are writing in. I mean if it was the 16th century you really wouldn't look at women in a good sense, but if you pick up a book from a modern author his perception is a complete 180 degrees the other way. The other way you can look at it is from a moral stand point. This, however, is still determined by our society. Let's take the Civil Rights movement as an example. Back in the 1960's, whites didn't appreciate Negroes, but if you look the racial standing in 2004 you see that there is more congregation and respect between races, from both sides. Basically speaking, it truly does depend on the time and setting that the author wrote the book.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post