Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    THIS IS THE 'old' Bradbury Website: Go to the NEW one
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THIS IS THE 'old' Bradbury Website: Go to the NEW one
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
...and hey! There's the old house! To think I used to be so afraid of the dark at the top of the stairs! Silly. Why, I should just drop in and walk right up those old stairs...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dimly lit at the top of the stairs stood a stepladder below a trapdoor in the ceiling. Ascending it I cautiously inserted my head in the opening and then as if by magic I was on the Main Street of the town. A boy stood reflected in a summer window there, gazing at the sneakers within. Behind him in the reflection was a man, who, walking by had stopped to contemplate the boy and the display. �Live forever,� said the man, and then continued on his way.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fire was gone, then back again, like a winking eye. He stopped, afraid he might blow the fire out with a single breath. But the fire was there and he approached warily, from a long way off. It took the better part of fifteen minutes before he drew very close indeed to it, and then he stood looking at it from cover. That small motion, the white and red color, a strange fire because it meant a different thing to him. It was not burning, it was warming.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a pleasure to burn.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's that all over your shoes?
Have you been playing "musician" again?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that was the day, yes, of the first wild bursts of laughter which Phipps ignored by simply saying, "We must, oh we must, stand all of us, downwind from Gettysburg. It's the only hearing place."

(sound of creaking door slowly opening)

"Hey wait a minute...who opened that door over there while I was reciting? There's a tumbleweed blowing through here,jeez-louise, and did you notice that echo, echo, echo??? Who is that man in the poncho over in the shadows with the glaring red eyes? Who's
flimflamming me anyway? Where's my spot, could somebody please turn my spot back on. I'm ridin' outta here now, I mean it, we don't cotton to yer kind around here mister nor you either missy."

(sound of footsteps, swinging saloon doors, and a lone horse fading into the distant night desert as a whippoorwill cries and the wind murmurs)

(indistinct metallic ping as robot falls from mount cussing horse disappearing into the dark)

p.s. Nard, I just checked your site out, awesome art and pictures, nice music as well.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 02-28-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a well. I live like smoke in the well. Like vapor in a stone throat. I don't move. I don't do anything but wait. ...

posted Hide Post
�We lost Sam.�
�The guy with the hotdog stand?�
�Yah, him.�
�Boy, that guy. Why he could change a tire in a snowstorm better than anyone, and stoke a furnace�?�
�Yah, that�s him. It�s your move.�
�Yours."
�Move your checker, would you, we�ll be here all night.�
�King me.�
�Ah, a competitor. Did you know they�ve found another one for us to burn? Up in the hills it must be. I wonder if we�ll find more of those empty orange pop bottles?�
�Must be kids playing around. I wish they�d leave the poor wretches alone.�
�Someone�s got a lot of black flakelets on their shoes. They say you can prevent that by keeping a good shine on them. A dangerous thing if you�re a filmgoer though. I hear those theater rats love shiny things.�
�Oh, shouldn�t have done that. That�s three. King me.�
�I concede. Lend me your Bradbury tonight?�
�For your Poe?�
�They�re burning them on Earth I hear.�
�What?�
�The books.�
�Fools! There�s no pleasure in that.�
---
(In memory of Darren McGavin)

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-01-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Barney! Aunt Bee says Opie's growing giant mushrooms in the cellar!

(In memory of Don Knotts)

posted Hide Post
Attaboy, Luther!

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
What to do with those giant mushrooms?

"Nip 'em."
"In the bud?"
"In the bud!"

(In memory of Don Knotts.)

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 03-01-2006).]

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But what do you do with the stumps then?

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Ask the witches.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-01-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Speak on witches.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Sorry bout that, I somehow wrote "what do you do with the stumps then" three times in three postings, I didn't know what to change it to, I was temporarily stumped, my apologies. I dance like this as well.

Onward to Mars!