Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    THIS IS THE 'old' Bradbury Website: Go to the NEW one
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THIS IS THE 'old' Bradbury Website: Go to the NEW one
 Login/Join

posted
That right!!

This now flimsy -shadow -of -its -old -self website, is now fading into that glorious past...but fading it is, and probably will soon be shut off for good by those in the know in New York. (Oh, but we loved yah much, we did!!!)

In the meanwhile, jot down this following address info or ...click on the link...to the NEW Ray Bradbury website:
http://www.raybradbury.com

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calling Nard Kordell!
Calling Nard Kordell!

When are they going to shut things down, I kind of prefer the Shadowlands here, it's like a secret society. I also have problems jumping through the new member hoops (my issue, not the websites) at the new site. I'll hang out here like the sentimental fool who refuses to leave his home which is in the path of the coming hurricane. "I was born in this house, I've lived my whole life in this house, I'll die in this house. I ain't leavin'. I can't find my shoes anyhow."

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aye Aye,
From
Greentown
Illinois:

I only heard it from dandelion...who said that the new high-ups arn't feeling any real sense of need for this site. Where it goes from there...?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is something about ghost towns that I have always liked. I like this one most of all.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh out of college in the mid 70's, I trekked westward in my red '67 Olds Cutlass. While in the region of Colorado Springs, I was taken by a friend I was visiting for an hour off road Jeep ride into a high plateau that was the location of an old mining town. (I can not recall the name of the town, but it dated back to the early 1800's.)

The remaining buildings were weathered to their raw bones. The surrounding perspective of the mountains and distant valleys was spectacular. It was a perfectly clear, crisp November day. Approximately a dozen small, old wooden framed structures still remained. What would have been the main road was evident due to those adventurous enough to arrive only by means of 4 wheel vehicles.

There were a few entrances still apparent where once miners had worked their way into nooks and cranies of the rocky terrain or hillsides. Each had been heavily barricaded and marked by state authorities warning of the dangers and illegality to proceed further. I had no inclination to do so, as it was obvious that time had wreaked havoc on the structures and the supports throughout.

Anyhow, as for ghost towns! Maybe it was the Rocky Mt. atmosphere or the effects of the thin air in the high elavations, or maybe not. The entire time we were there, maybe 2 hours, I had the unsettling feeling that this town was not as uninhabited as appearances made one initially believe.

Not one to be easily tremored, I have always held a vivid recollection of this day from the many adventures I had during 3 months on the road many years ago.

This RB site has a bit of that mystique - a gold mine, long abandoned, rarely visited, the timbers mostly dismantled but still holding up the entrance, and the recurrent warning not to enter since the distant authorities have posted it somewhat off limits. Go elsewhere.

The main difference? No jeeps.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a brief discussion of ghost towns, including some photos, a while ago on this site. Worth revisiting.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Commerce...
...ebay, Nokia, all those new types of businesses tried to revitalize this ghost town. No go! Obviously there is gold in thar hills yet to be found.

posted Hide Post
Sundance, your fingerprints are all over the safe! (From my search, what do I find > one of "your" previous posts! Explain yourself!)

Scroll down a bit and find the Colorado listings: Click on several and take a look at these towns!
(The pictures of the old wooden structures are right out of my above post...and my memory!!!!!) Eerie...
http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/

"Silverton" I believe was the name of the location, and then we drove way back in. Do you see a red '67 Cutlass parked on the street??

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You just keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at."

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cripple Creek, Victor, Phantom Canyon, Gold Camp Road--the names alone conjure images of breathtaking desolation. The first time I visited the Springs, I saw the Rockies and thought Pikes Peak was a thunderstorm looming on the horizon.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one's shuttin' down nothin' any time soon. Last I talked to them, they hadn't even filled the position of the person in charge of these sites!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...ain't nothin' out here but sagebrush 'n' prairie dogs..."
Came over here for a visit and found recent posts gone! But, I think these were only a marketing attempt and two or three "discouraging words" in reply?

posted Hide Post
Right. You ain't missin' nothin'.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dandelion for your custodial dedication. Reminds me of a Bradbury story in which someone secretly makes nightly repairs on the sets of an old film lot - can't recall the title...

posted Hide Post
Sounds kind of like "The Night Sets" or part of "A Graveyard for Lunatics." I was thinking of suggesting we set up some mannequins here which only come alive when someone posts!