Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Source of a Quote and Project help!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source of a Quote and Project help!
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone!

I was browsing away on tumblr the other day and I believe I saw a quote by Ray about never being too old to write to your favourite author.
Unfortunately I just cannot seem to find the same quote again!
Would you guys be able to help me out and provide a source if you happen to know the quote/know where it is?

ALSO.
I am planning on doing a project for my intaglio class where I send a letter inscribed on a copper plate to a significant place that relates to Ray in some way. I am thinking of the Library in Waukegan, or the Center of Ray Bradbury Studies.I havent yet figured out which one I have chosen. Basically, the mailing of the plate, which would then be sent back to me, will leave the plate marked up. I then would print.
Any suggestions of places? Or ideas?

Thanks! : )

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
619 Washington Street
Waukegan, IL 60085

Ray's grandparent's house, in which he practically grew up. So much of what made it into his stories was formed here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah! That's a great idea! Do people live there now, or is it used for something else? My only concern is sending it and not being able to get it back...

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People live there the last time I was by. I have no idea if they're even aware of its history. The Green Town library is also a good idea - they know Ray very well, indeed.

And photogravure is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was there 30 years ago, the people in Ray's house at 11 South Saint James, around the corner from his grandparents' house, had no idea of its history. If I were you I would print several copies and send it to several of these places.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I will send different plates to different places! Thanks so much for the info!
It's amazing to think that that kind of information wouldnt be passed on to the new owners of the house(s)!

posted Hide Post
It's a crying shame that the houses are not enshrined as historical sites, but with their buku bucks the Disney Company has not even preserved Walt Disney's house, which is used like Ray's--as a house. Frowner

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's so surprising, it really is a shame! Thinking on it now, Im going to have to send it to an institution, so I can be sure that it gets mailed back to me!

posted Hide Post
Someplace has a quote of his carved in stone on an exterior wall. I think it's a university but sorry I don't know where.

posted Hide Post
Waukegan's Ray Bradbury Park has a (modified) Bradbury quote set on a stone. ("We remember you. We remember you.")

UCLA's Powell Library has a placard commemorating the creation of FAHRENHEIT 451 within its walls.

If you're contacting such places, Autienne, I would either take a "scattergun" approach (send out lots of requests to lots of places, and hope that maybe one of them will bother to reply) OR locate a named individual to send it to, and address that individual directly in an accompanying letter.

How to locate the right individual? Phone the switchboard of each insitution/department, and ask if they can give you the name of (e.g.) the chief librarian.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Phone the switchboard of each insitution/department, and ask if they can give you the name of (e.g.) the chief librarian.

And if the chief librarian isn't named E. G., ask for them anyway! Big Grin

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
...or ask for I.E., his deputy. Or ETC., his minions...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone!

I ended up sending my plate to the lovely and amazing team at The Center for Ray Bradbury Studies! They were all so helpful, and the work turned out really well I am happy to report!

I will be posting an image of the print, as well as sending one along to the Center in the near future.

If you all aren't aware of how awesome the Center is, you should check out their website. They do a lot of amazing work in the name of the man who brings us to this forum. Please do think of donating, as that is the best way to help them help us keep Ray's memory and works safe as well as at the forefront! They were so immensely helpful to me, and it would be amazing if we could pay it forward and help them out too!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Autienne:
...the lovely and amazing team at The Center for Ray Bradbury Studies! They were all so helpful...

...you should check out their website...Please do think of donating...

Excellent that they were able to assist you. I second your recommendation that people donate. The Center may be in possession of Ray's papers and some of his effects, but this fact doesn't of itself generate any income. For the Center to be able to engage in public outreach, it needs donations.

- Phil