Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    LA Science Fiction Society

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LA Science Fiction Society
 Login/Join

posted
I don't think this has been posted here before. On the FANAC website there is a 1966 publication of the Los Angeles Science Fiction society which gives a photographic history of the society. Leaf through to see pics of Ray, in amongst others including Robert Heinlein and 4SJ Ackerman. It starts here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Very Cool. It's also fun to see Robert Heinlein and A.E. Van Vogt. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I missed Van Vogt. Must go back for another look!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: Great to see these photos. A Prize Find!! I belonged to LASFS from 1972-1973. So seeing these photos are of many of those whom I met when they were older. Len and June Moffatt, pictured here and there, have been part of the LASFS furniture for years. Together they attended Bradbury's play in Pasadena just recently. Larry Niven usually showed up every week for a meeting, as well as Jerry Pournelle. A.E. Van Vogt, I believe, showed up once for something. Every week someone brought a page or two or three to the meeting, and they were all collated at the end of the meeting and given out to everyone that brought something to that weeks'fanzine. Don't know how far back they were doing that, but I am sure there is a treasure trove of info there at the LASFS archival 'library'.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving this five-year-old thread to urge Bradbury fans to look at the Bradbury materials currently available via FANAC. The collection of materials is constantly growing, and for anyone interested in the history of SF it is a fascinating resource.

Start with the name index for all of the Bradbury-related materials:

http://fanac.org/names-br.html

Then head back to the main page to explore the full contents of the site: www.fanac.org

My favourite photo (in terms of "whaaaa???" value) is Ray as the spirit of an elephant:

- Phil