Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The NEW Ray Bradbury Review
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NEW Ray Bradbury Review
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Richard, that's great news. I haven't yet handled a physical copy of the Review, just an advance PDF version. I'm pleased to hear the Review is finally out there in the world!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those interested in the Review, Kent State now has an interesting page on their website; the Review was limited to 300 copies and 100 have sold in the first week, which is not bad for a new academic journal without a prior subscription base (says proud papa):

http://upress.kent.edu/books/Touponce_W.htm

Here also is a podcast on this year's projects at the Bradbury Center:

http://www.iupui.edu/~iuihome/podcasts/?episode=259

My best to all on the board,

Prof. Touponce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Touponce,

Posts: 44 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Touponce:
For those interested in the Review, Kent State now has an interesting page on their website...

Featuring a photo taken we know where by we know who!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, I am sorry but I don't get it, i.e., who took what photo? Who's on first and what's on second.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Doug, I am sorry but I don't get it, i.e., who took what photo? Who's on first and what's on second.

I am the who and I was at the where.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Who's on first and what's on second.

...and I was on third. I was standing behind and to the left of jkt when he took the photo of Ray holding the book.

As such, I'll be happy to sign the book for you.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, just phoned JKT and got straightened out. I figured it was you or John. Thanks again for providing the rest of us Board Members the fantastic photos and videos of our good friend Ray.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone reading this thread might think that the NRBR is only about Bradbury. I neglected to mention previously that, in addition to academic articles about Bradbury, it also contains a complete screenplay (Gotcha, which is unique in combining two of his stories), a selection from Nemo! involving his transformation of Dandelion Wine, an extensive interview with Bradbury about adaptations of his work, a prose poetic dedication of this first volume by Ray to his grandfather, and a reminiscence of Tom Scherman, a character in A Graveyard for Lunatics. There is also a comic strip that he drew at age twelve of Edgar Rice Burroughs's A Fighting Man of Mars. And yes the cover is by Bradbury too.

Bill Touponce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Touponce,

Posts: 44 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone reading this thread might think that the NRBR is only about Bradbury. I neglected to mention previously that, in addition to academic articles about Bradbury, it also contains a complete screenplay (Gotcha, which is unique in combining two of his stories), a selection from Nemo! involving his transformation of Dandelion Wine, an extensive interview with Bradbury about adaptations of his work, a prose poetic dedication of this first volume by Ray to his father, and a reminiscence of Tom Scherman, a character in A Graveyard for Lunatics. There is also a comic strip that he drew at age twelve of Edgar Rice Burroughs's A Fighting Man of Mars. And yes the cover is by Bradbury too.

Bill Touponce

Bill,

Would you like a better picture of Ray holding the journal? If I'd have known it was needed I'd have done right by the book.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John:

I did not know that the photo was yours (the link to it was sent to me buy someone who visits the board), so first let me thank you for that one. I sent it to the press not knowing who had taken it, but also didn't expect they would put it on their website! But if you have a better one, sure, I'd like to see it.

Best,

Bill Touponce (wtouponc@iupui.edu)

posted Hide Post
quote:
John:

I did not know that the photo was yours (the link to it was sent to me buy someone who visits the board), so first let me thank you for that one. I sent it to the press not knowing who had taken it, but also didn't expect they would put it on their website! But if you have a better one, sure, I'd like to see it.

Best,

Bill Touponce (wtouponc@iupui.edu)

I'll take a better photo, this week.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
But that photo was appropriate because it was truly the author's "first look", rather than a staged shot.

But I can also see why both photos would have their proper place.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I agree. The candid nature of the photo was appealing, but on the other hand it doesn't show the Review!

Bill Touponce