Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Americans out

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americans out
 Login/Join

posted
I was in the middle of writing a Spanish report for class when I recalled the Bradbury story about the American tourists getting stranded in South America. What was the name of it? Did it have something to do with meat? It has to be one of my all-time favorite short stories. It's very representative of how the world views U.S. imperialistic culture (even today.)
TIA

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I haven't read it in years, I may be wrong...but is that...The Fox in the Forest...? THAT was a time-travel story...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was Fox in the Forest, but the basis wasn't time travel- All Americans mysteriously died (I think it presumes a nuclear devastation.) and the rest of the world was rejoicing.

posted Hide Post
The story you are thinking of is "And the Rock Cried Out." It appears in THE VINTAGE BRADBURY, as well as Ray's newly released collection, BRADBURY STORIES.

Incidentally, Ray wrote a film script based on this story for the great British film director, Carol Reed (Reed also directed THE THIRD MAN, among many fine films). Sadly, the script never was filmed...a fate that unfortunately has befallen many of Ray's projects for the screen.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 11-20-2003).]

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You, Richard !

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS! It was bothering me so much, and it's been on my mind all week. I'd love to see that screenplay resurrected...

posted Hide Post
In an interview in TAKE ONE magazine in the 1970's, Ray commented that he felt that the screenplay's time had probably passed, and that he thought it was unlikely that "And the Rock Cried Out" would ever be filmed.

I speculate that this comment may have been prompted by the fact that the "atomic scare" era was in the 1950's and 1960's (although the threat is still there and very real), and there have been many "nuclear disaster" and "last people on earth" stories and films that have been written and/or released since Ray initially wrote his story and screenplay.

posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this thread about Ray Bradbury's screenplay for AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT, a script he wrote for the fine director Sir Carol Reed back in, I believe, around 1957. Reed loved the script, and told Ray he planned to send it to Ingrid Bergman to see if she would have any interest in playing the female lead if the film got made. As fate would have it, Ray bumped into Miss Bergman in Europe not that long thereafter...I think he saw her dining at an outdoor restaurant in Rome. He approached her, introduced himself, and asked if she had received the script for AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT. Miss Bergman said that she had, that she did not like it, and that she simply did not care for science fiction. Ray took her reply well, appreciating her honesty. Sadly, as noted in postings above and elsewhere on this Board in the past, the film was never made.

I was fortunate enough to acquire a copy of the script, and later asked Ray to sign it. This was, I believe, around 2005. It turned out that Ray had resurrected the script himself, and was in the process of re-working portions of it. It was, he told me, too long. He then proceeded to sign my copy and, in keeping with what he told me about its length, wrote, "Richard. Needs cutting! Ray Bradbury"

A link to that signed copy of the script is attached below:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

ImageIMG_0441.jpg (51 Kb, 104 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I was thinking some more about Ray Bradbury's screenplay for AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT. Perhaps some enterprising speciality press out there might consider obtaining the rights to publish the script in book form. I think many of Ray's fans would love the opportunity to read it.

posted Hide Post
Back in 2005 I asked Barry Hoffman of Gauntlet Press if he might consider publishing the screenplay for AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT. He was interested but Ray turned him down because he still had hopes of getting a movie version produced. There may be less interest today from specialty presses because Ray is no longer around to sign limited editions, which would have made it more desirable for collectors. I for one wish someone would publish it because I sure want to read it someday! Richard, you are incredibly lucky to be one of the few people who have read it already.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 29 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JRES100, you may well be right about the disadvantage of Ray Bradbury himself no longer with us to sign a limited edition specialty press publication. However, there are many other well-known authors who are Bradbury admirers. Just look, for example, at the wonderful short story collection, SHADOW SHOW, which was edited by Sam Weller and Mort Castle, and featured stories by such writing luminaries as Neal Gaiman and Margaret Atwood. Perhaps a limited edition of AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT could be published with an introduction or tribute by another well-known author, and signed by that person. Hey, we can still dream, can't we?

posted Hide Post
Yes, if someone like Neil Gaiman would write the intro and sign it then it might have a shot at publication. Of all Ray's currently unpublished work, AND THE ROCK CRIED OUT is the one I most want to see published. I also still think that another Bradbury short story collection could be put together. I know Morrow rejected NIGHTMARES AND DAYDREAMS, and I don't know what the proposed table of contents was for that book, but I have a different table of contents in my mind that I think would work.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 29 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post