Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bantam paperback art.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bantam paperback art.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Here is the great cover that set me on my way:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GVL64/ref=olp_pro...7567?ie=UTF8&seller=

(click "larger" for details)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neato!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Teh Bradbury>
posted
well in my view...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, I have that paperback of Golden Apples. I bet he did the black Dandelion Wine with the witch and that same mad scientist looking dude in a bottle with butterflies and ferns and stuff. Since I could not see an image of it when I googled(most cover art is showing the front cover), I took the liberty of taking a picture of the back of Medicine For Melancholy. This picture, which is on a lot of my paperbacks is what intrigued me as a youngster in fourth grade. I think it stunning. I have wanted a poster of this for eons.

p.s., I forgot about that prehistoric fish.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Imagelava.jpg (58 Kb, 15 downloads)

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, I thought that was the image you were referring to. I've always thought that image of Ray would pass for Isaac Asimov! Just needs a couple of mutton-chops.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happens to such works once used? Nothing shows up on searches that indicate they are available in poster or litho formats anywhere. In collections or filed!?

Here is Mr. Ellis: Maybe we can find out!
http://www.artworkoriginals.com/JAAAAAL0.htm

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, probably the latter fjp. It would be awesome to have a print of that or the Illustrated Man. Its amazing that a seemingly obscure picture like that has assumed a cult status with any R.B. fan.

Phil, could you lead me to the thread about Illustrated Man that you referred to recently?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robo,

Is that mold on your book? Some people are allergic to dusty musty moldy old used books and others are freaked by the unknown germs residing on the old used books. I've talked to these people and they only buy new books. The germfreaks refuse to even pick up used books or read magazines in doctor's offices. I've heard them mention people who lick their fingers before turning pages and people who read on the toilet, too. All good arguments, I suppose, but I love the smell of old books. I have a couple with honest-to-god wormholes in them and an old Henry Kuttner collection that actually had the cocoon still intact, but vacated.

================================================

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, its not mold. I think its some kind of old ink stains. Yes, old books can and do contain many germs and allergens. Do you know why germ freaks get sick so often? Because of the very fact that they don't expose themselves to germs thereby making their immunity weaker, not stronger. When I was working painting/drywall, I was exposed to so much, it was unreal sometimes the filth in which people live, by choice mind you! Poor don't mean dirty! My point is, sometimes we would actually have to clean these pitholes before any work could be done, I haven't been sick in about ten years, oh an occasional cold and sniffles maybe, but all those who fear germs should embrace them. Did this thread just take a left turn into....The Twilight Zone?

posted Hide Post
Phil, fjp, and everyone, my goal would be to contact Mr. Ellis and either find out if there is a way to get a litho of those two prints or gain permission to make a copy. I'm obsessed with it now!

Grass, another thing I learned the hard way about old books is that crickets like to eat them. I had a number of old books once get literally eaten by them because they weren't stored right in our basement before we had it refinished about five years ago. It has something to do with the oldtime binding and glue that they used to apply to the books. Hey, if you eat a book, does that make you smarter? Try it Teh.

posted Hide Post
And cockroaches dig the glue, too.

Sorry... Yup, nice covers there, Robo.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an old copy of dandelion wine, with that beautiful picture of the kids on the porch, one was writing, and his pages were flying away. beautiful

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken the liberty, I do that a lot and I know I have to work on it, of writing Bantam/Dell/Random House an e-mail requesting permission to make some copies of Illustrated Man and Lava. I told them that I was going to make a poster for me and a couple of friends and that there would be no monetary gain. They wrote me back almost immediately and referred me to a different section handling copywrites. It seems at this time, it takes a written letter or fax to them with a lot more info. I am on it though and will let you all know of my progress. Fjp,(I'm tired of writing/calling you fjp, can I know your real name, I think it is on another thread somewhere? Frank is coming to mind, is that it?)your teaching credentials may come in handy as there is a whole section on requests made for teaching.

By the way, this place is getting hot with all of the postings going on at once. It has slowed things down to a crawl for my system. I still love it though!

Another by the way, I love all of the cross pollination going on in here. Its like a snowstorm or a spring day full of dandelion seeds floating everywhere on the wind mixed with lightly breaking gossamer webs....;(oops) Smiler

posted Hide Post
"It's been silverfish getting into his comics collection or mildew in his new tennis shoes ever since Doug got out of school!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
I had an old copy of dandelion wine, with that beautiful picture of the kids on the porch, one was writing, and his pages were flying away. beautiful

As far as I know, that one came out only a few years back. "Old" may be a relative term.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post