Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bantam paperback art.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bantam paperback art.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
rocket, the earlier thread mentioning the IM cover is here.

With regards to your poster idea, there are some good quality images in Weist's book. Armed with a scanner, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a poster sized image of one of these. I'll look through it later to see whether any of these Ellis images are there. (PS: I have a scanner...)

Copyright: if you only want to make one for your own private use, and not exhibit it to the public or charge people money to see it, then this would come under the "fair use" provisions of copyright law. However, if you want to make multiple copies to distribute, that's a different matter.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WildGravity ~ The cover of which you speak, and the one on the editions I use in my classroom, "click." It is a great cover, too!
http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/55/327/753/0553277537.jpg

For all the regulars, here is a page I haven't seen (or can remember): Quite inclusive, as things go.

http://www.avdistrict.org/library/authorbradbury.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil. That, as is usual with you, is valid, needed, and useful information. I hope to God you will reconsider coming back to this board. Do not let someone like him run you of all people off of here. You are an integral and loved person on this board. Please come back!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats the one!!!

The cover of mine was ripped off.. you see I'm not a very organized person and I fell asleep on top of it...

now its gone.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, would that include making several copies for a few friends to use in private as well?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just made an astounding discovery, for me anyway. Whilst perusing my F-451 book after several threads lately have mentioned several things within it, I turned the book over and looked at the back cover photo of Ray. This particular edition is a 1967 hardback library edition that a friend from work gave to me. I guess I never really scrutinized the photo. I immediately realized tonight that it is the same picture sketch of Ray superimposed over the lava picture on many of his Bantam paperback books from sixties into the seventies. It is usually only on the back, but I have a couple of editions, Martian Chronicles for instance, where its on the front cover as well. I never really thought the sketch really captured how Ray really looked and now I have proof positive. By the way, several people are working on getting me a disc with the pictures scanned from the cover of Illustrated Man and the lava scene on the back. I'm hopeful of then getting an inexpensive poster made. Check these pictures out! If I cannot download all on here, I'll do consecutive posts.

Imageray_001.jpg (60 Kb, 9 downloads)

posted Hide Post
check out the background...

Imageray_003.jpg (60 Kb, 6 downloads)

posted Hide Post
more...

Imageray_004.jpg (60 Kb, 7 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I think the sketch is too thin and cold, Ray's face is fuller, more life and love within...

Imageray_005.jpg (62 Kb, 7 downloads)

posted Hide Post
bump

posted Hide Post
So, rocket-man, back to Mr. Dean Ellis, who must have used that specific pic for the series of Bantams. Yes!?

http://www.artworkoriginals.com/JAAAAAL0.htm

Go ahead. Give him a call and get to the bottom of this once and for all...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had never before seen the picture as opposed to the sketch. Ellis may not have been the artist, could have been superimposed by someone else. I was excited to see the photo on the back of my book.