Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury's Irish Stories

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury's Irish Stories
 Login/Join

posted
Dear all,

Could anyone tell me what Bradbury's book contains most of his Irish stories? I would like to make a gift to an Irish friend of mine, but as fas as I understand, there is no separate edition with Irish stories. Therefore, I need to find a book where there would be most of them. I have looked through contents of some Bradbury's books on Amazon.com, but cannot figure out by names, as I am not sure I myself have read all of the Irish stories. Can anyone help me?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your friend might enjoy Green Shadows, White Whale.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and the reason for Doug's suggestion is that this NOVEL is stitched together out of all of Ray's Irish short stories. The details are on my website, here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flagman17, another book you may want to consider is THE ANTHEM SPRINTERS, a collection of Ray's Irish plays published by Dial Press in 1963. Unfortunately, unlike GREEN SHADOWS, WHITE WHALE, THE ANTHEM SPRINTERS is long out-of-print, and while the paperback edition can be found for reasonable prices, the hardcover edition is scarce and expensive. The Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) currently lists 29 copies of the book, in varying conditions, ranging in price from $10 for an ex-library copy up to $2000 for a rare printer's galley. In case you are interested, here's a link to the copies currently for sale on ABE:

http://www.abebooks.com/servle...+Sprinters&x=62&y=11

Posts: 2460 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a hardback first editon copy of the book that Richard mentions, The Anthem Sprinters and Other Antics on eBaY for $250.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much all of you! Thank you, Doug and Phil, I have "Green Shadows, White Whale", bought it a few years ago, but still have not read. Shame on me! I did not realize it contains some of the Irish stories I already know, I thought it is a separate Irish novel.

Thank you Richard and JKT, I think I will buy "The Anthem Sprinters and Other Antics" for myself. As far as I understand, this book and "Green Shadows..." are not fully interchangeble, thus, adding "The Anthem Sprinters..." to my library I will apparently have all Bradbury's Irish stories ever published.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely correct - they are not fully interchangeable. As always with these mosaic novels, Ray edited and changed the stories slightly so that they would blend together more consistently. Also, GREEN SHADOWS has at least one excellent piece which had not been collected earlier, namely "The Hunt Wedding", which I think appeared in the guise of chapter 8.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Bradbury was in Ireland, he frequently went out to Courtown House to meet with John Huston. During the last few years, this old Georgian property has been up for sale. Anyone have ten million euro to spare? I've just blogged about it here.

P.S. I'm still trying to track down Heeber Finn's pub...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post