Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Let's Find a Way to Get Bradbury Nominated for a Nobel Prize
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's Find a Way to Get Bradbury Nominated for a Nobel Prize
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey Nard, my comment was VERY tongue in cheek,no one has written well about more topics than Ray, from fantasy to Sci Fi to Non-fiction and poetry too. I consider Ray a poet par excellance. But there is no RAY BRADBURY section on the book store shelves, that I search for now and again. There should be! I gave him the Knowwell prize long ago.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
[B]patrask:

Ray's voluminous body of work sweeps a far broader spectrum than people are generally aware. Lodge large and many complaints to those booksellers and 'shelvers' ...who place his books in one simply lousy category: Sci-Fi !

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to a Barbara's BookStore in Chicago, and Lo and Behold, the store's 'mystery section' held Ray Bradbury's 'mystery fiction'. Could hardly believe it !! Actually shelved appropriately...

Okay, we're all thinking about what we can do to get the ball rolling ...in order for Ray to be nominated for a fiction award like a Nobel Prize; we're infuriated at Michael Moore and his title choice...and writing him Emails and letters to make known our feelings and make him second think his film title; we are attempting in some way to get Oprah to consider a Bradbury book as a feature on her Book Club... Hey, let's not spread ourselves toooo thin here....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barbara's Bookstore is really the best one in Chicago, so that doesn't surprise me, Nard. They are soooo much more informed and knowledgeable about books than the big chains. It broke my heart when the south side one closed down when Borders opened a block away. I agree though, let's pick one area and all of us focus our efforts on it.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm approaching this from another angle: email to first.lady@whitehouse.gov

She's a librarian, and she has friends in all the right places. Granted, she doesn't have Ray on any of her recommended reading lists, but she has Willa Cather so she's okay with me. Drop her a line.

Thanks, DZ

Posts: 23 | Location: Ojai, CA, USA | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
deanzat:
Wow! Thanks. All ideas are welcomed. Being a librarian I am sure she is familiar with Ray Bradbury's works, too...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad this didn't go through in time!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, do you think this worked? In 2003 deanzat wrote:

quote:
Originally posted by deanzat:
I'm approaching this from another angle: email to first.lady@whitehouse.gov...

...and in 2004, this:

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For information only, here's the process for the Nobel Prize:

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobe...terature/nomination/

But alas it can no longer be awarded posthumously (unless the recipient dies between the announcement and the award ceremony):

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobe...ture/shortfacts.html

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post