Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Please Help Essay

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Help Essay
 Login/Join

posted
I have to write an essay for Honors 10 English comparing different Ray Bradbury works, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot

Posts: 12 | Location: Darien, Connecticut, USA | Registered: 06 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cmo330

Comparing to what? Each other? Society? Fiction by other writers? Earlier works to later works?

Define your request...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone had an almost identical request awhile ago about comparing two Bradbury works but when I looked I couldn't find it. Suggestions were for which works would be best to read and compare.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our writing assignment is to compare different literary works of Ray Bradbury to each other. For instance I've read Twice 22, I Sing the Body Electric, and The Illustrated Man. I think I might write about the different styles of metaphors that he so commonly uses in his writing, so any ideas or help would be great.

Posts: 12 | Location: Darien, Connecticut, USA | Registered: 06 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a non-liturary person, but a big Bradbury fan, some advice:
Pick one or two of Mr. Bradbury's stories and make a note that they speak to the humanity in us all. They are not usually about things, technology, but, rather about how things and technology effect people and what they do about it. That is why Ray was not thought to be a serious Sci-Fi writer because he emphasized the people of the stories in the plots, rather than the things and the technology, or the hard science. It was for this very reason that I as a younger man, trained in science, had a hard time with 'The Martian Chronicles". Everyone knew at the time the book came out that Mars had no atmosphere and was essentially a dead planet, so how could the explorers in Ray's stories walk around and do the things they did? It didn't matter to Ray, the correctness of the science, only that the interactions of the people in the stories was a reflection of our common humanity. Read now, late in life, I can overlook the science and appreciate more the storytelling skills of the author. Ray has said himself, he is more of a Fantasy writer than a science fiction writer. Thank God, I might add.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 06-07-2004).]

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks so much! What do you think of this so far; Bradbury used vessels such as technology, science, and fantasy to convey a part of humanity to emphasize a metaphor(thanks patrask). I think I also want to touch on his imagination and the roll it plays in his writing, and possibly what influenced it. I think that would be interesting. Please let me know what you think so far.

posted Hide Post
Is it possible that in many of Ray's writings, humanity is the metaphor? Could life itself be the ultimate metaphor for love, hope, truth, beauty, and all those qualities that make humanity worthwhile? Maybe that's too broad a topic, but it sure would make an interesting paper. Just a (circular) thought. . .

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
awesome, I really like that. But how would you explain that through his stories? I mean how does Ray really use humanity as a metaphor? I tried writing a passage using this idea through "the scythe". The metaphor being loss. I'm also thinking of writing the necessity of being a dark in order for their to be light.
"Without the bitter baby, the sweet ain't as sweet." --Vanilla Sky
Because I find that many of his works explore both sides of this spectrum

[This message has been edited by cmo330 (edited 06-09-2004).]

posted Hide Post
There are some images of hands (F451)and what they can do. There are also images of hands in SWTHC. But, of course maybe I see relationships where they were not intended, but I am also a James Joyce reader. In most cases with Joyce, they were planned. Does RB have the design and intent? Sounds like a good essay to me.

Posts: 14 | Location: Hermiston OR, USA | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SWTHC?

posted Hide Post
Something Wicked Towards Harry Comes, maybe?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey sorry for beating this dead horse, but we also have to choose a short passage from one of Rays books, short stories, or poems and then dress up in character and recite it to the class. i was thinking illustrated man... but that would be really hard. any ideas at all would be great THANKS

posted Hide Post
I am sur that I am not the firts prsone to fat fingerrr somthing, amI?

Posts: 14 | Location: Hermiston OR, USA | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post