Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Banned Book Week

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banned Book Week
 Login/Join

posted
I researched banned books for my university's book store and found "Martian Chronicles" for the reasons discussed in the Way In The Middle Of The Air" post) and "Fahrenheit 451 on the list of recently banned books.
Can you believe that a few years ago "F451" was handed out to students as an assignment for their California High School class with passages and words BLACKED OUT!? The irony of this is almost to much to handle. THE book about book censorship CENSORED! After the media got involved the school recalled the censored copies and handed out uncut versions. Why is this kind of thing still going on? I couldn't believe the books on the almost endless list: Ann Frank recently banned in the south (where a majority of the censorship took place), Steinbeck, Raynd, Rowling, Malcolm X, The Bible, The Koran, Alcott, London, Lewis, Browning, Angelou, and even Children's Books are all being pulled from the shelves of school and public libraries due to the complaints of people (usually those in power).
Be active in stopping and reversing this, friends - go to your library, write your congressperson or do your own thing. It is up to us.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other day a thrift store clerk said a customer asked her what a certain book was doing on their shelf! She said, "I just put 'em out...I don't read 'em."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in a University Library in Interlibrary Loan. I had checked out the 2001 list of banned books book, prior to banned book week. I was amazed at how many books I had already read, or had seen as movies. There was also a huge amount of books on the " endangered " list books deemed to be dangerous in different libraries
around the country. My mind clicked back memories of some of the names of the libraries we have lent to in the past that had, books listed.
I do think that the general public is spoon fed at least, at the check out line or some books exactly what they are paying for. I just wish more would read, then judge for themselves. At least when something is censored or banned there is interest generated, maybe then those ladies you refered to Dandelion, might turn off the TV, quit pointing at books, and read something to stimulate thought instead of numb it.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle: Nice to see you out here.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one remarkable thing about the written work is you can touch it, reread it, feel it inside, and then choose to apply or ignore or just appreciate it. My mind can become the canvas that the author weaves a tale upon. What we are able to gather as our own imagination allows from each authors works should have the opportunity to see the light of day. Without that Freedom we would not be able to get both sides of the track so to speak. Mr Dark I am glad to be here, and I am thankful for the company, here.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 09-24-2003).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, I need to know if FAHRENHEIT 451 is no longer read at schools, because all the information I have says it is dealt with at the majority of schools in USA. I use this information on my work so I need to be sure about it!!!!
Thank you

ana

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know F-451 was selected as the Book to Read in Los Angeles recently, or whatever they 'officially' call it. ... and that many schools used it as a study, plus lots of book clubs, reading groups, etc.

I know I run into young people occasionally that say that Ray Bradbury was required reading when they were in school... Plus there are several current textbooks that have Bradbury fiction in school text books....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Censorship is not much of a deal to me currently. Every so called banned book I can go down to my local library and check out at will during their set hours. There are no blacking of words except for some reader's child having a blast with a crayon, and even then it is mostly a more beautiful color like red or yellow (perhaps that was a racist statement). The biggest problem is not the government but little wacko groups of people who pressure authors into changing sensitive material in order to relieve their disordered stresses. Case in point is Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where the Oompa Loompa's were originally African pygmies which were changed by the author later to rosey-white skinned, Seven Dwarves type characters in the book and orange faced in the movie.

Here's a link to the article on this (and to a fabulous Roald Dahl website I might add):
http://www.roalddahlfans.com/articles/char.php

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ought Not: That is precisely what F451's Capt. Beatty emphasized. It wasn't necessary for the Govt. to do it. We did it to ourselves.

From other postings, rather lengthy, but some very interesting topics here: http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/thingruel.html http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/excised.html http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/bannedwords.html http://www.suntimes.com/output/books/sho-sunday-bradbury07a.html

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right, fjp! F451 is a work of genius in that regard. I will read the articles when I get the time. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, that sure isn't the Charlie I read! Here is a link to a very interesting discussion of book censorship by adults, done on the behalf of children and otherwise: http://forums.abebooks.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=abes...1&ctx=&gfc=1&msg=618

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will check that out as well, dandelion. Thank ya much. I'm as much of a Roald Dahl fan as I am of Ray Bradbury. I'm not much for the big bang surprise endings but the stories of Dahl's are so well done that I cannot be anything but satisfied by most of the lot. Anyone who likes good writing in a similar vein as Bradbury's try getting your hands on one of the short story collections out there like "Tales of the Unexpected" or "Skin". His autobiography "Boy" is good as well. Or you can check out one great interview of him at:
http://www.roalddahlfans.com/articles/twilart.php

posted Hide Post
Most of the books on the list were there because schools/libraries gave in to those little wacko groups (grandmothers complaining that they didn't want their granddaughters exposed to "filth" or "smut" such as "The Diary Of Anne Frank" or "Are You There God It's Me, Alice." We have to be just as wacko about keeping them on the shelves because the result of one person raising hell about a book they were only told the plot of, and that they never read for themselves, was those books being removed from the shelves. Why such a compliance? Fear of controversy? Customer service? Respect for elders? Why?

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of your suggestions are correct, Greentwn. Nonsense, politics, what have you, and people don't want to insert themselves into the argument which is ok. I do not like to argue either. Basically people have faith in Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, and Edgar Allan Poe to outlast the impotent hot breaths of debate.