Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "Masters Of Sci-Fi" (with RB) Set To Air This Fall On ABC, Not SHOWTIME

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Masters Of Sci-Fi" (with RB) Set To Air This Fall On ABC, Not SHOWTIME
 Login/Join

posted
Great news! As Pavel posted last summer SHOWTIME had plans to begin a new series called "Masters Of Sci-Fi" which will adapt classic science fiction stories into hour-long episodes. Well, ABC has taken over production of the series and plans to include it in their fall/2006 lineup. Ray Bradbury will adapt "Dark They Were And Golden-Eyed". Harlan Ellison is adapting his "Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktock Man". There is also supposed to be stories from Heinlein, Asimov, and Stanislaus Lem.

I don't have cable TV so I'm really happy that ABC has taken over, but because they've taken over I think this also increases the risk of the project being abandoned--you know the networks.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best news about TV that I�ve heard in forty years. I hear Robert Redford is doing the same thing with what he calls �the O. Henry stuff".

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-01-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats. One time when I would like to have a TV. I love Bradbury and O. Henry and hope these productions do them justice!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Redford project isn�t really �O. Henry�, he just used that term. The project is to recapture the old anthology shows like Hitchcock and Dupont Theater.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, What meanest thou by "recapture" ?
Remakes? Reruns?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he means Redford will say "Good evening" and sell soap.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We should all be thankful William Sidney Porter was a far better author than he was an embezzler. (One of my favorites, "authors" that is!)
Sounds like a creative project, and one that current tv production seldom initiates any more. http://www.lsjunction.com/people/porter.htm

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
No reruns. He means to revitalize the use of the short story on TV. Old stories, new stories, you name it.

This link gives part of the interview: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000602/news

grasstains,
He�s a good man but I hope we don�t see his mug on there. I just want the stories.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-01-2006).]

posted Hide Post
Great news! Saki, anyone?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, thanks. I'd rather have a single malt whisky!

Oops. You said Saki, not Sake.
Munro, I guess.
Sorry.

(*hic*)

posted Hide Post
Yes, H. H. Munro "Saki." Although very little of what he wrote qualifies as Science Fiction, his work is perfect for an anthology short story series!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*bump*

posted Hide Post
I wish he was doing "Kaliedescope" instead of "Dark They Were". Imagine what that would be like with a decent budget. The guy helplessly drifting through space and coming to terms with his rival, his lost limbs, and finally his fleeting life. That other guy being swept away with the astroid belt would be a cool scene too. The "make a wish" scene at the end would be a sure classic.