Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    DARK CARNIVAL.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DARK CARNIVAL.
 Login/Join

posted
hey im a new guy at this board probably because i havent gotten into ray since this summer (but im starting to read october country like i have read other ray stories) anyways ive been asking this question but i get no answers so:
1) ok i know that the dark carnival is rays first book and is pretty much outta print plus if you do get it it will set you back some. neways i was wondering if anybody hear read it and if they have if they could give me an overview or synopsis of the story or maybe they know of a link that has script from it sorry for making this post long but i was wondering about this
thank you
nic
p.s. i loved something wicked this way comes would i love dark carnival?

Posts: 2 | Location: baltimore, MD. US | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the information from Gauntlet Press explaining about the original edition of "Dark Carnival" and why their edition of last year is the definitive one. It, of course, sold out in no time.

Gauntlet's "Classics Revisited" line presents...
Dark Carnival
Ray Bradbury
Published 2001
Gauntlet is proud to announce the publication of Ray Bradbury's first (and almost impossible to find) short story collection DARK CARNIVAL. Anyone who has read any of our previous Ray Bradbury "classic-revisited" books knows this is not just a reprint of the original, but the DEFINITIVE edition.
The print run of DARK CARNIVAL was 752 copies (700 numbered and 52 lettered) so order your copy NOW. When the book is gone it is history. Representatives for Ray Bradbury have told us he has no intention right now of authorizing a mass market or paperback edition of DARK CARNIVAL. This may be the only new edition to ever see the light of day.
The cover art for this book is the haunting Bradbury oil painting you see on this page, which Bradbury painted around the time he wrote DARK CARNIVAL. It was NOT painted for the book, but is a perfect cover for this lost classic. As we did with Richard Matheson's HUNGER AND THIRST there is NO lettering on the cover. There is a lot of detail you can't make out in this image that enhances the art, so the title appears only on the book's spine.
Clive Barker, a great fan of Bradbury's work, wrote an afterword and signed the book along with Bradbury.�
Here is the Table of Contents of the original edition. We printed that edition as originally published (re-typeset, of course) and THEN added our many bells and whistles.�
Table of Contents (from original edition)
The Homecoming
Skeleton
The Jar
The Lake
The Maiden
The Tombstone
The Smiling People
The Emissary
The Traveler
The Small Assassin
The Crowd
Reunion
The Handler
The CoffinInterim
Jack-In-The-Box
The Scythe
Let's Play "Poison"
Uncle Einar
The Wind
The Night
There Was An Old Woman
The Dead Man
The Man Upstairs
The Night Sets
Cistern
The Next In Line
27 stories with several more to be added for this DEFINITIVE edition.
Gauntlet's publication of DARK CARNIVAL is available in two states:
A 700 copy signed NUMBERED edition for $150 + $7 postage/insurance.
Dark Carnival - Numbered Edition
(each copy signed by Bradbury and Barker)
$150.00
Qty:
Handmade Leather Slip Case for Numbered Edition, with the cover inset on one side.
$25.00
Qty:
A 52 copy LETTERED, leatherbound edition for $1000 + $12 postage/insurance. It is in a beveled leather traycase with a drawer and handle (our most elaborate traycase yet) with the original U.S. and U.K. covers inset on the front and back of the traycase, the 32 bonus pages described below AND an audio version of Bradbury talking about the stories on CD.
Dark Carnival - Lettered Edition
(each copy signed by Bradbury and Barker)
$1000.00
Qty:
An audio version of Bradbury's comments about the stories on CD. It is the interview editor Donn Albright held with Bradbury when speaking to him about the stories, and we got the whole thing recorded. This is indeed a rare and special item, which is sure to be an instant collectible.� This isn't Bradbury making a prepared speech, but talking off the cuff about events which took place over fifty years ago.
Dark Carnival CD
$25.00
Qty:
WHY IS THIS THE DEFINITIVE EDITION OF DARK CARNIVAL?
=========================================
Although we stayed true to DARK CARNIVAL's original form and reproduced the book as such (per Bradbury's request), and although the stories appear in their original order as they appeared in 1947, this is where the "reprinting" stops and the bonuses begin.
To start with, this is the ONLY version of DARK CARNIVAL to see print, according to Bradbury's agent. Preceding each story is the Weird Tales cover, from which the story originally appeared (a few stories appeared in other publications and those covers are presented, as well).
In addition, Ray Bradbury agreed to allow the inclusion of five additional short stories in the Gauntlet version of DARK CARNIVAL; stories that did not appear in the original and have been reprinted infrequently, if at all. All were originally published in Weird Tales and were at one time considered for publication in the original version of DARK CARNIVAL. Four appear in the book ("The Seashells" "The Watchers" "The Poems" and "Bang! You're Dead") and a fifth, "Time Intervening", is an exclusive chapbook for those purchasing through Gauntlet. William F. Nolan has been kind enough to allow us to use his original illustration for this story, which appeared in 1952 in The Ray Bradbury Review, for the cover of the chapbook.
MORE REASONS WHY THIS IS A HISTORICAL EDITION
OF DARK CARNIVAL
=========================================
A new introduction by Bradbury.
An afterword by Clive Barker, who also signs the book.
The original U.S. and U.K. cover of the book appears as an inset on the front and back cover of the traycase of the lettered edition. The cover of the Gauntlet edition of DARK CARNIVAL is a Bradbury oil painting he painted around the time the book was published. The title of the book does not appear on the cover (just the spine) so you can see the detail in the clouds.
Two short afterwords written by Bradbury. The first, written after the publication of DARK CARNIVAL, tells how the day before he married his wife, she was fired because of her boss' adverse reaction to Bradbury's novel. And "At Work In My Garage", written two years later in 1944, describes his workspace. These are pieces that the book's editor, Donn Albright, felt would make appropriate afterwords for the Gauntlet edition.
A one page essay, titled "The Winged Bat", in which Bradbury tells how he came to write DARK CARNIVAL.
"A Child's Garden Of Terror", a proposal Bradbury wrote to himself for DARK CARNIVAL. Included are chapter titles for stories, some of which were not yet written - some he would never write and a few that remain in a drawer, unpublished. He even discusses the cover design.
IN CASE YOU STILL AREN'T CONVINCED,�
HERE'S A FEW MORE BONUSES
====================================
A letter from Rupert Hart Davis in which he praises stories from DARK CARNIVAL.
Several proposed Table of Contents for a novel he proposed entitled DARK CARNIVAL.
A letter to August Derleth in which he pitches DARK CARNIVAL.
"Le Carnival Noir - A Ballet by Ray Bradbury", a 3-page synopsis of a ballet based on stories from DARK CARNIVAL, with handwritten notes to himself whom to send it to.
An essay by John Eller which gives the history of DARK CARNIVAL and discusses some of the misconceptions (did Bradbury rewrite several stories for THE OCTOBER COUNTRY?).
In the LETTERED EDITION only there is a 32-page proposal/vignette Bradbury wrote for his agent Don Congdon, which eventually became the basis for SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.�
All of this material (except the additional short stories) have been reproduced as Bradbury typed them, complete with his famous doodles, notes to himself, and typos. Call it raw Bradbury, if you wish.
DARK CARNIVAL was in the more than capable hands of its editor Donn Albright and Buddy Martinez, who worked on layout and design. This definitive edition of DARK CARNIVAL would not have been possible without Donn Albright. He convinced Ray Bradbury to allow us to publish the book. All of the bonus material comes from Donn's archives. He loaned us the painting which will be the cover for the book. He interviewed Ray for introductory blurbs for the original 27 stories that appeared in the original edition and bonus material that will appear in the book. He also worked with Buddy Martinez on layout and design. When you see the final product you'll see just how invaluable Donn has been in this undertaking. Thanks, too, to Anne Hardin, Jason Marchi, and Forry Ackerman. Anne photographed the Weird Tales covers that appeared in the book. Forry and Donn Albright provided the covers. This has truly been a collaborative effort.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received my copy of Dark Carnival. It is pretty cool.

However, there is no autograph by either Clive or Bradbury, and I did not receive a CD. There is a copy of Ray's inscription to his parents, but since it is dated April 29, 1947, and this is not the original edition, it seems doubtful Ray signed this.

If my edition is numbered, I can't locate the numbering anywhere.

Did I get gyped?

Oops! I'm looking through the information below and it looks like the "extra" stuff comes with the $1,000.00 edition. And I thought $150.00 was a lot! Fortunately, I ordered mine right after I got laid off . . . I would have a very hard time justifying it now!

Nevertheless, it is really something and I'm glad to have one!

I love the little mini-essays in it, and love that they show the magazine covers from where each story was first published.

And then, I guess . . . there's always the stories themselves.

I ordered mine from Amazon.com. It took several months to get it, but I'm glad I have it now.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the "$150" version that I bought directly through Gauntlet press. It IS autographed and numbered. The autograph page is the second page, right after the blank end-page. Right after that is the title page, and then the page with the inscription to Rays parents.

The front flap identifies this book as "ISBN:1-887368-50-7 Limited Edition"

I can't imaging why you are missing the autograph page, but I would check into it. Perhaps because you bought from Amazon? You may be able to return it and get it directly from gauntlet's website. I did get the CD but I think I payed seperately for that, as well as the slipcase.

Good luck.

--

However, there is no autograph by either Clive or Bradbury, and I did not receive a CD.

If my edition is numbered, I can't locate the numbering anywhere.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, ordered the $150 version directly from Gauntlet, and got a signed, numbered edition. A friend, however, had the same thing happen, the book arrived with no autograph page. I also paid separately for the CD.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I do NOT have an autograph page in mine as you describe.
However, mine is identified as "ISBN: 1-887368-50-7 Limited Edition". This is very disappointing to me.

It doesn't seem like it should matter where you purchase it if it is identified as the limited edition (as mine is). It seems like Guantlet should not send out a limited edition without the features the limited edition is advertised as containing.

I have put my name in the front of mine (paranoid that I am) so am afraid I may not be able to return it at this point, as it is not new condition.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

That's crushing news. Sounds like it's more a defect or misprint--I doubt they meant to do that. So, perhaps, even though you wrote your name in it, you could ask Amazon for an exchange--they won't be reselling a "defective book" anyway, right? Won't hurt to politely ask.

Then again, you could always take it to one of Mr. B's appearances and have him inscribe it to you--then it would mean that much more.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will contact Amazon.com about a return as a defective item, and see what they say. Their customer service has always been very good in my experience.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 09-24-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark-

Why would you write your name in the book?!

As an rare book collector, and part-time dealer, I can tell you that there are few things more disheartening than seeing a choice book with an owner's inscription in it. If you are curious (and you may not be), you have already hurt your resale value for that book.

Maybe I'm just a purist. :-)

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good and fair question. I have had books that I have loaned out that have not come back. This seems less likely to happen when I have the habit of putting my name in the book. Now, Why would I loan this book out, you ask? Heaven only knows what I was thinking. Your comments and perhaps implied criticism are taken in good stride.

This book does not represent resale value to me. I don't plan on reselling it. I just had wanted the two autographs.

Sometimes purists are good things! I wouldn't apologize for it.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark-

No criticism was intended! :-)

Your book (obviously) is your property. I have just always been curious as to people's motivation for "defacing" their books.

Enjoy!!! I know I do......

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I've done is written the Guantlet Press directly and told them I got defective merchandise and am asking for replacement or exchange.

My fantasy would be for them to replace the book and write this one off as a loss. If that happened (I can dream, can't I?) I would save the autograph edition as a collectible (as you recommend -- I can learn!) and use the faulty one as my mark up copy. I am a compulsive margin-note-taker and underliner when I read. It would be fun to have an issue of this book I could mark up in a guilt-free environment.

Wish me luck.

posted Hide Post
Here is the sad reply I got from Gauntlet Press. Too bad for me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In a message dated 9/24/02 9:21:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, epalfreyman@prodigy.net writes:

Can you please get back to me and let me know how I can get the advertised book without my having to spend any more money? Without these features, it is still a good book to have, but I don't think $150.00 is a reasonable price to ask for a regular-run book (which this copy is).

Your problem was getting the book through Amazon.com rather than Gauntlet. If you check the Amazon.com website we (the publisher) sent in notification (check the detailed description -- I believe publishers comments) alerting those buying the book that the copy on Amazon.com was NOT signed. What happened is we had a slight overrun and we made them available to one of our distributors. All of thoese are unsigned. We made sure Amazon.com indicated so on their website. Amazon.com will NO longer purchase directly from the publisher and their terms are unacceptable. So, we've only provided the overrun copies to a distributor who provides copies to Amazon.com.

I'm sorry I can't help you. In the description we DO try to get you to look at the description of the book on our website. If you had bought from us you would not only have received a signed copy but also a chapbook that is available ONLY through the publisher.

I'm sorry you didn't get what you thought was advertised, but if you look at the Amazon.com website carefully you'll see that have included our disclaimer. WE didn't want to confuse those like yourself. We would have liked Amazon.com to give more prominant mention to the fact that their copies are NOT signed copies, but we don't control Amazon.com listings.

If interested we will be publishing 4 screen treatments Bradbury wrote from IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in May. That will be a signed edition with signed copies ONLY available through Gauntlet.

If interested I can put you on our e-list which also has specials.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Although I understand their position, it is still a disappointment to me.

Well, what do they say, "buy in haste regret in leisure?"

I guess the good news is that since this book really has no resale value, I can just mark it up to my heart's content, and just write it off as perhaps not the most wise use of $150.00 I ever made. Although I have no regrets about having the book.

I do think Amazon.com should have made the caveat more prominent and that they should have lowered the price, since it didn't have all the stated features. But, oh well.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 09-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 09-24-2002).]

posted Hide Post
I have some books also. I won't even charge you anything for them.

Posts: 26 | Location: The Motherland | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure Gauntlet is out of the signed edition? They don't advertise as such. You could always sell your copy at half price to a fan who can't afford the $150.00(assuming of course you can afford to purchase another).If you just want a signed Bradbury, there are a ton of them out there.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post