Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    X-MINUS ONE RB Radio Program (free on line)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X-MINUS ONE RB Radio Program (free on line)
 Login/Join

posted
Try it here-

http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/xminus1.htm

The first one is a Bradbury tale (The Moon Be Still As Bright), and there may be others.

==============================================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the story from THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES where Spender goes nuts and hides in the hills.

I know there were several Bradbury stories done on that program, so there's probably more (if not all) available at that site. I don't know if the ones available online represent the entire catalog from X-Minus 0ne. These are from the heyday of Science Fiction (early fifties) so there should be some really cool stuff there.

=============================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.....and MARS IS HEAVEN! is the fourth one on the list.

=============================================================

posted Hide Post
IS that Ray Bradbury himself narrating or someone else?

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were big productions with sound affects, orchestration, actors, and all. They were presented by Astounding Stories Science Fiction Magazine.

===============================================================

posted Hide Post
I have the two CD set and have enjoyed it, especially the lead in ads for other old shows that were on the air then. Not much has really changed, they still hawk the new stuff the same way. Radio was fun, and in a way better, since you could DO SOMETHING while listening. In the video age we are locked in and can't miss anything. I remember doing the dishes and other so called chores, while listening to the artful audio plays on the radio. I wish someone in the media would wake up and realize that this would work today again, since we are all locked into our cars for several hours a day, why not give us real entertainment instead of talking voices aguing about current affairs. There must be room in the bandwidth to have at least one good channel for audio entertainment, old or newly crafted stories. What say all of you?let's start a movement.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, you can listen to vintage radio on satellite radio. When I travel, the old detective stories are great. The sound effects crack me up. But you're right, there should be something on AM or FM radio. The closest we have is Prairie Home Companion.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prairie Home Companion is a GREAT show. I have yet to find a station that plays it in Michigan. Every time my family was in the car, we listened to those stories. I have heard other Christian type radio stations do similar things too in PA and AL but I have not found anything in MI. If anyone knows of anything, let me know what station it is on please!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can listen to Prairie Home Companion on NPR on FM stations. I also think that is great entertainment, folksy but also tongue in cheek funny.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have episode details of X Minus One on my website if anyone is interested. I'm pleased to see RadioLovers has made them available (there are other websites that have them for a fee). (We should ask ourselves whether Mr B gets a penny for this free distribution of his works, though...)

Ray didn't script any of these episodes - most of them were adapted by Ernest Kinoy and George Lefferts, but most of them are very good adaptations.

Those of you hankering for the return of radio drama should make yourselves familiar with the BBC's website. Here in the UK, we still have radio drama, and it's all accessible via the web. If you go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/ you will find all the recent plays and readings available. And if you go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/ you can access the BBC's archive station, which includes regular bouts of science fiction and fantasy under the "Seventh Dimension" banner. (Harlan Ellison's "Soldier" is one of the shows available this week.)

And how many people know about the audio SF available from the SciFi Channel? Go to www.scifi.com/set and you can listen to lots of material from J.Michael Stracynski, Neil Gaiman, Octavia E. Butler and more. This site hasn't been updated for years, but there's a wealth of material there.

Of course, it's not easy to listen to internet radio around the house or in the car, but with a piece of software such as Total Recorder you can capture all these goodies as MP3s and listen on the move. I've been doing this for years! (And now they call it podcasting, and tell me they invented it!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you click on the link with the left button of your mouse it'll lead you to a page that says FORBIDDEN, this I understand is due to it being a Mp3 file, and needing a music program to open it. It can't be viewed as a webpage. To use the file all you have to do is right click with your mouse, and then scroll to the option 'save to target', then save it, and open it with Itunes or Windows media player.

==================================================================

posted Hide Post
For all of the years that I lived in Minnesota (28) I never once got down to St. Paul and the State Theatre to see a live broadcast of the Prarie Home Companion and Garrison Keillor. It was only a year ago when he appeared at the Miami Book Fair that I got to meet him and ask him a couple of questions. A brilliant man and I always loved the soliloquies that were part of every show when he would ad lib for about twenty minutes on some item, talking off the top of his head, a skill not too many people can accomplish and keep it witty and flowing.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, I got to see the show live in San Jose a few years ago and it was a blast! I love live radio shows. Keillor's gotten a bit leftist-preachy lately, but I still try to catch his show every week. He often has as a guest one of my all-time radio heroes, Bob Elliot of Bob & Ray fame...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the uninitiated, Braling refers to a comedy duo I too remember watching (almost weekly as a kid). They were excellent satirists whose dialoque relied on clever word plays, innuendo, and sharp barbs at anything in the news. What they did not do was use vulgarity as a vehicle for their art. The constant laughs they got, they earned, not with shock verbiage but rather intelligent sparring.

Good flashback, Braling II:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_and_Ray

Bob Elliot's son Chris Elliot followed his dad's comic footsteps and did SNL and a few prime time shows as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To sort of tie the dangling end of this thread back into, at least, sci-fi, Bob and Ray positively shone in a TV production of ''Between Time and Timbuktu: A Space Fantasy.'' This was a compilation of some of Vonnegut's stories. It was, I thought, extremely well done. I have a book about it, but I haven't seen it since. This has the cast and a synopsis: http://www.vonnegutweb.com/vonnegutia/drama/btt.html
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Between-Time-and-Timbuktu

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post