Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Books Ray Read When a Boy

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books Ray Read When a Boy
 Login/Join

posted
Books Ray Read When a Boy

I got this information from...Ray's own hand.... Indeed, this is a partial list... but some items you may not know:

All the "OZ" Books, by Baum, every summer, from 1928 to 1934

All the "BOYS OF BOBSHILL" books by C.P. Burton

ALICE IN WONDERLAND and THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

All of Poe's stories over and over, 1929 to 1935

"TREASURE ISLAND" by R. L. Stevenson

"ANT VENTURES" by Blanche Elizabeth Wade

"THE PAPER DRAGON' by Johnny Gruelle

All the 'LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE" comic books over and over, from 1930 to 1935

Collecting and reading and re-reading "BUCK ROGERS" and "TARZAN" daily strips, 1929 to 1936! JUST AS IMPORTANT AS BOOKS!

"ONCE UPON A TIME" 'A Book of Old Time Fairy Tales', edited by Katherine Lou Bates with pictures by Margaret Evans Price (Rand McNally and Co.) ""Gift on my fifth Christmas from my Aunt Neva! 1925 Read & Re-Read""

'TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA!" VERNE 1930

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Nard. This is an interesting list!

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 04-28-2004).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am lucky enough to have my very own copy of "Once Upon a Time" given to me by my very own Mother and treasured for over 50 years. I found it a very interesting coincidence that Ray and I both loved this book. I saw it mentioned in Gerry Weist's book and nearly flipped at the incredible coincidence that we both grew up with that book.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Oz books are great, and Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass are excellent. i love his taste as a boy, man.

Topic For Further Discussion: have any of you heard the song "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane? its about Alice, but its really weird! i think its about drugs, which wouldnt be surprising.

"one pill makes you larger, and the other pill makes you small. and the ones that mother gives you dont do anything at all. go ask alice when shes ten feet tall..."

------line from the song

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's some protest now that "Yellow Submarine" is going to be a children's book when it came from such a drug-influenced culture, but "Alice in Wonderland" came from a mind which had certainly undergone chemically-induced alterations. I loved both as a kid and never had the impulse to run out and do drugs. Maybe I was just young enough to enjoy them on another level, but obviously the writer of this song felt a lifestyle connection, shall we say.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many children's authors had some serious issues from pedophilia to insanity. Isn't the end result what matters.
Yellow Submarine is not about drugs, it's about peace and Love - good stuff.

There is a theory, though, that children are so new and their brains are still developing so that in their world they are constantly "tripping" and enjoy trippy things. Baby Einstein videos - very trippy.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, Nard thanks for the list. I can't wait to add them to my library.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ettil, that song ("White Rabbit")was definitely a drug song, but as Dandelion said a few posts back, I was able to enjoy it and never once be tempted to try those drugs or head down the path to corruption. That's why I think it's disgusting what's going on right now with the FCC. They think somehow that by shielding our kids from "immoral" influences (and of course it's THEIR definition of immoral), they are saving the world from a path of eternal damnation. I think the average teenager can enjoy the music just for the sake of the music. Very few will listen to it and then turn to a life of drugs, crime, promiscuous sex, etc. just because of the song. I know there's always a few who are easily influenced, but I think that's due to lack of parental involvement, not the music. I know I'm going a bit afield here with these comments, but I just couldn't resist. To bring it back to the original topic, I know everyone is familiar with The Wizard of Oz, but if you haven't read any others in the series, give them a try. They are just a blast to read. I'm not at all surprised that Ray enjoyed them.

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 04-29-2004).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How things have changed!!:

Talking about drug influences, etc etc. from authors listed above!! The books nowadays the 'kids' are reading can be alarming. Especially since it's about 'themselves'.

lmskipper: Take Note:::

Just got off the phone with Marty Beckerman, 21 yr. old college student who is graduating in a couple weeks, who wrote a book for the younger generation entitled: ''Generation S.L.U.T.'' (available in bookstores now). You can say he sees alarming dangers and hopelessness all around, with suicides, etc etc. When I mentioned Ray Bradbury, he immediately came back with a hearty "Fahrenheit 451!!" I didn't ask him how much of Ray he has read... but will... next time...

Would Ray's list above work today, to bring some people to their senses before it's too late? As Marty expressed... ''what can I say and write ... to bring some sensibilities to these younger kids....?''

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-29-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post