Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Omnibus Ray Bradbury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omnibus Ray Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a complete collection of Bradbury's short stories available, similar to what Asimov and Clarke have had produced?

edited because I have been reading Asimov for too many years to misspell his name

[This message has been edited by Khakiass (edited 06-26-2003).]

Posts: 3 | Location: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion can give more details (there's a posting somewhere else out here). Bradbury's stuff is in several excellent short story collections.

There is a large one called, "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" (Knopf, 1980), and a second one is due out this year on his birthday (August 22, I believe). Between these two, they will contain the definitive collection of his works.

Although I'm sure we'll all be able all find stories we think SHOULD be there, these should be solid collections -- taken together.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks very much!

Is this the upcoming book?
http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000443.html

[This message has been edited by Khakiass (edited 06-26-2003).]

Posts: 3 | Location: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, this is it. Dandelion got a pre-release manuscript and has posted the listing of stories in that string.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overlooked that post...
The Cover of the Book is Great. I really like that stylized rendition of Ray's name....But 'Red' background?
Hmm!! Perhaps we can call it 'Martian- Red'....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That depends on how complete a definition you mean of the word "complete." Some of Ray's more obscure stories (mostly very early and very recent) have never appeared in ANY book, ANYWHERE--not even an anthology. There is a "complete" collection of Robert Bloch's stories, and some of his published stories are not in it, including some which did appear in anthologies. A "complete" collection comprising all of Ray's short stories alone (not counting novels, non-fiction, and poetry) would fill five good-sized volumes. If they would even fit into one the type would have to be too small for the human eye to read!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, well, I was hoping for "reasonably" complete, in the manner of the recently published volume of Clarke short stories, the two volumes of Asimov, or the four of Sturgeon.

Has anyone done a comparison of the 1980 edition to this upcoming release in terms of content? I'm curious as to overlap...I can't seem to find an indexed listing on abebooks.com.

[This message has been edited by Khakiass (edited 06-27-2003).]

posted Hide Post
As dandelion was posting the TOC, I compared it to the first volume. There was no overlap that I can remember, but I'm not 100% on this.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you really imagine all the collected works of Ray Bradbury?
Heck, throw in the Complete Collected Works of Poetry. And how about the Collected Letters of Bradbury. How about all the Screenplays, and TV Scripts? Plus Drawings, Paintings, Reviews. Opinions.

Gee, it's a job for Easton Press:
The Complete Works of Ray Bradbury in 451 Volumes.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was no overlap in stories between the first and second volumes of 100 stories each. Listing the WORKS alone is a mammoth task. "The Ray Bradbury Companion," compiled by William F. Nolan, was a good-sized book when it came out in 1975. Added to Donn Albright's completed and updated list, it would be huge, or perhaps two normal-sized volumes, just to LIST all the works!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post