Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Chronicles Edition

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles Edition
 Login/Join

posted
As a long time admirer, and collector of Mr. Bradbury's works I was very intrigued by an edition of The Martian Chronicles I found recently. I cannot find any information on it online, not even another image of this particular cover. Can anyone provide me with any background on it? My best guess is that it is a school edition printed by doubleday for the Canadian market. Whatever the case, it makes a nice addition to my other copies of TMC.

thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red,

Imageray_bradbury.jpg (56 Kb, 43 downloads) cover

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red: I must agree, this is a very unusual cover. Having taught and collected MC editions for years, your version has never been seen in these parts previously. It has the appearance of a middle school type re-print for late 1950'2-early 60's audiences.

Here are the usual versions, with some background info: http://booktionary.blogspot.co...chronicles-1950.html

What does the publication/copyright page indicate (if anything)?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Professor Albright is the ultimate authority. If he doesn't have it, it is rare indeed! That being said, it is unfamiliar to me.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This appears to be a school/library edition that was probably not a general release.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. The copyright page just indicates Doubleday Canada and a 1959 publication date. I was really stumped trying to find some information on it, and am fortunate to find this resource!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red,

posted Hide Post
Nice cover!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a cool cover... and unfamiliar to me. A special library binding perhaps?

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That seems to be the consensus opinion, and one that is most likely as it does have a school library stamp on the inside board.