Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury's 88th Birthday Party Celebration
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury's 88th Birthday Party Celebration
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
10.04 am is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Probably best to order over the phone anyway. The shoppe opens promptly at 10:04 a.m. today. Ask for Mike the Grump and tell him that his reputation is world wide. Smiler

Same time tomorrow, as well?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
quote:

Probably best to order over the phone anyway. The shoppe opens promptly at 10:04 a.m. today. Ask for Mike the Grump and tell him that his reputation is world wide. Smiler

Same time tomorrow, as well?

They will be open at 12:09 tomorrow, Tuesday.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golden Apples of the Sun: If one was thinking of attending the birthday party/book signing and getting a copy of GAotS, the bookshop purchased what appears to be the publisher's remaining stock, only fifteen copies of the first edition. Those will probably be gone by tomorrow. So, if you wanted one you might consider calling the bookshop and reserving a copy.

Mystery and Imagination: 818.545.0206

p.s. They had one copy of the second printing of GAotS and plenty of Moby Dick, A Screenplay.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas, do you advise coming early before noon?

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you wish to have a book signed and have pre-ordered it then showing up at noon will be OK. Be warned that Mr. B has been known to show up early.

If you plan on purchasing a book at the event I suggest you get there around 10 a.m., when the doors open. There are plenty of places to catch a bite to eat while you wait for the event to begin.

If you plan to just come and bask in glow of the event and have a piece of birthday cake you may wish to arrive around 11 a.m.

A good viewing spot is on the "balcony" of the second floor of the bookshop.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you wish to have a book signed and have pre-ordered it then showing up at noon will be OK. Be warned that Mr. B has been known to show up early.

If you plan on purchasing a book at the event I suggest you get there around 10 a.m., when the doors open. There are plenty of places to catch a bite to eat while you wait for the event to begin.

If you plan to just come and bask in glow of the event and have a piece of birthday cake you may wish to arrive around 11 a.m.

A good viewing spot is on the "balcony" of the second floor of the bookshop.

Thanks for the update, jkt.

I pre-ordered yesterday, and was surpised that I was only the 30-something'th person to pre-order the Moby Dick screenplay.

I'm looking forward to watching the movie again when I return home, with the screenplay, to see how it was presented. And meeting you all at the party!

posted Hide Post
quote:

I advise 11.30.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only about fifty people are smart enough to pre-order. The other 200 plus orders will be upon arrival at the bookshop.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Well, it was a perfectly lovely celebration. Ray did indeed get there a little early and seemed in good spirits. I was looking forward to one of Ray's signature greetings to the gathering: "I suppose you're wondering why I've called you all here today"... and wasn't disappointed.

A college professor (someone help me with name and place) spoke very well about Ray's impact and the impact of his writings. Then one of the actors from Ray's play (again, I don't remember his name) did a reading from the screenplay of Moby Dick. Very nice.

Ray was presented with a master poet award. Ray (para): "God this is beautiful. The hell with the oscar!"

George Clayton said a little piece... which brings me to my only caveat:

Mystery and Imagination, or someone in Ray's camp, simply HAS to bring in some type of public address system for his appearances at the bookstore (and probably other places). I'm quite sure that people beyond the first couple layers around Ray's table could not hear much of the wonderful back-and-forths during the speeches and reading. Too, I'm thinking that Ray also would benefit from a PA. Many of us know he is hard of hearing and it's a little disheartening for me personally to hear someone wax eloquent to the audience (their back to Ray) about Ray and his achievements only to realize that Ray is hearing every fourth word or less.

Same thing when I see a fan come up to Ray and tell him how much his writing has meant to them in their life. Only, they were speaking low or not projecting and Ray heard hardly any of it. Don't know how that could be rectified, but I'm positive that a small PA system would help with the other, larger problem of his appearances and the group (fans) being able to hear everything.

Cheers,

Bill

Posts: 12 | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes... the birthday cake! It was especially magnificent. A sheet cake with a large Moby Dick coming out of the top. Inspired design! My hat is off to whomever created it.

And it was GOOD. Chocolate with pudding layers. Yum.

I have quite a few pictures of the event that I'll put up soon.

Cheers,

Bill

Posts: 12 | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powervideo:
Oh, yes... the birthday cake! It was especially magnificent. A sheet cake with a large Moby Dick coming out of the top. Inspired design! My hat is off to whomever created it.

And it was GOOD. Chocolate with pudding layers. Yum.

I have quite a few pictures of the event that I'll put up soon.

Cheers,

Bill

Believe it or not, the PA system adds little to the event, due to the acousics in the bookshop. It is a shame, I know.

Any ambient noise messes with hearing aids and there is a whole lot of them at such an event. Again, a PA does not help. This is just a problem that can only be solved by everybody being issued shells.

I'm proud of the cake. Wait until you see what I have planned for next year's cake.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
"A college professor (someone help me with name and place) spoke very well about Ray's impact and the impact of his writings."

That would be Dr. Drew Morse, of John Carroll University in Cleveland. Drew has been doing research on the poetry of science fiction writers and the poetry of Ray Bradbury.

He's also the Awards Chair for the Science Fiction Poetry Association.

Deborah

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JKT, I like a man who thinks ahead!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait until you see what I have planned for next year's cake.

Okay, John King T. You handle the 89th. Here's my take for the 90th.

Someone picks 90 dandelions from the midwest when the
yellow burst has transpired to heads of fluffy cotton puffs. Pick carefully without upsetting any of them. Stand tall all the stems with the perfect heads in a tray of deep dune sand. Put it all in a freezer. And then, just on that very day of the 90th, just moments from the very cake presentation, those frozen icons are awaken from their sleep and placed quickly and carefully, all ninety, on the birthday cake.

Research plenty beforehand to know the exact temperature required to awaken the dandelions and their original mid summer cotton-lightness... and so now easily freed by a simple, gentle breath of birthday wishes...

Oh, for promise of future years, perhaps another 10 or more bright sun drenched open dandelions faces preserved as well, and now placed as additional witnesses of promise.

http://catchaway.blogspot.com/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post