Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury's 88th Birthday Party Celebration
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury's 88th Birthday Party Celebration
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I do, I do!

Pecial, a derivation of Special, meaning I know what it is and you don't. Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checkmate.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, I am highly disappointed that you didn't comment on a word I used the other day. What post it may have been I have forgotten, but the word was incurred. Now I do not believe that the word incurred has been seen anywhere here lately and I think that it is a good word. Don't you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JKT, what happened to those "specifics" we were going to be let in on as the event drew nearer?

Not that I have a problem with vagueness!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
JKT, what happened to those "specifics" we were going to be let in on as the event drew nearer?

Not that I have a problem with vagueness!

We are a month away. Not near enough for me. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Don't you?

It's a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
At the end of the session a very pecial "event" will "happen." Since it is not listed on the website you'll just have to attend to see what it is.

What session? What event?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Here is a birthday teaser: Mr. B will receive the Science Fiction Poetry Association Award as part of his birthday festivities.

http://www.sfpoetry.com/

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is a birthday party update:

Mr. B will get, as mentioned before, his Science Fiction Poetry Society Award at the event.

Robert Kerr, one of Mr. B's Pandemonium Theatre Company's cadre of actors, will read the Padre Mapple sermon from Moby Dick, A Screenplay.

Then George Clayton Johnson will say a few words about Mr. B.

After that, the cake will be presented and a chorus of fans will sing Happy Birthday. Once the ceremonial first piece of cake has been cut we will commence with the book signing.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Robert Kerr, one of Mr. B's Pandemonium Theatre Company's cadre of actors, will read the Padre Mapple sermon from Moby Dick, A Screenplay.

Yes, Robert was telling me this after last Saturday's performance. I said he should wear his sea-faring turtleneck sweater he wore during the last scene of the play. He said it's outside, and it's August, so no.

quote:
Then George Clayton Johnson will say a few words about Mr. B.

A few? That's an understatement.

Cadre is a good word.

Padre from the cadre?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
There won't be a cadre of Padres but there will be wine...for Mr. B.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is the text of the flyer for the birthday party. If one is going to attend and plans on buying a book I suggest you pre-order. In this way you'll get a low number in line...and there will be a line.

MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION

Fine Books for Readers and Collectors

www.mysteryandimagination.com

Dear Readers,

Ray Bradbury will be here in One Week! Saturday the 23rd!! It is birthday party/signing event! Please check out our other upcoming events on our website www.mysteryandimagination.com One may phone pre-orders for signed books at 818-545-0206, email at info@mysteryandimagination.com or order through our inventory on our secure website: www.mysteryandimagination.com

PRE-ORDERS are being taken for SIGNED books for inshop-pick-up:

Saturday, August 23, at Noon:
Ray Bradbury. MOBY DICK. Hardcover. First edition. Subterranean Press. Limited edition, deluxe hardcover, in dust jacket. $35.00. This book is indeed original, never before published. It contains the entire screenplay, an introduction by William Touponce, and an afterword by Jon R. Eller. Pre-orders for attendees are being taken now with line-numbers assigned as the purchase is made. Call me! If you are coming to the event and pre-order, your book and line number will be waiting for you when you arrive. Mr. Bradbury will only be signing--sorry no personal inscriptions from a man so generous with his efforts to offer just a signature. His signing energy is saved and respected.

I am sorry, but we are no longer able to take mail orders for signed books by Mr. Bradbury, nor to take signed orders for non-attendees--(to help Mr. Bradbury being overtaxed, we made a written agreement on this) BUT---We can still take orders for the very special books for mail order--NOT signed.

*To add to the festivities we will be celebrating his 88th Birthday with a special cake (deluxely decorated by Porto's Bakery portraying a whale jumping out of the Ocean) and song, and a very special surprise presentation for Mr., Bradbury.

*Mr. George Clayton Johnson, the multi-award winning author of the filmed LOGAN'S RUN will be here to honor Mr. Bradbury with a 5-10 minute talk about the writing of screenplay, MOBY DICK.

*There will be a special presentation by the President of the society, Deborah P. Kolodji, to Mr. Bradbury Awarding him the Grand Master Poetry Award, only the third time in history it has ever been awarded.

*An official Ray Bradbury, a Pandemonium theatre troupe member, award-winning actor, Robert Kerr, will be giving a 5-10 minute dramatic reading from the film to honor Mr. Bradbury.

*During the signing event we will be hosting a Bradbury open forum chat and Q&A in the upstairs area. George Clayton Johnson and others, will be answering questions on screenwriting and the making of film MOBY DICK.

(We have made an agreement, for Mr. Bradbury's ease, not to have him sign any books that one brings from home, nor sent to us in the mail).

Other Ray Bradbury books available at the event:

Another publication by the fine small press, Subterranean Press:
(All these limited edition special press books are limited fine quality productions, and always sell out and become desirable with collectors and fans).

THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN. With the corrected 'golden" color dust jacket that Mr. Bradbury insisted on. New special edition of Ray Bradbury’s seminal collection, restoring the original 1953 table of contents, featuring, for the first time anywhere, an extra 48 pages--play versions of two of the tales, printed in facsimile format. $50.00 (Yes, this is still at the publication cover price!)

THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY. Hardcover in dust jacket! A voluminous collection of 100 stories, spanning four decades. This is referred to as the black colored collection. New. $40.00

RAY BRADBURY STORIES. Hardcover in dust jacket. This collection has completely different stories than the "black" one. It also contains 100 stories. It is referred to as the "red" dust jacket collection. New. $29.95. The red and the black short story collections make a nice set when you purchase both, and cover all his published short stories.

Yes, we have Stephenie Meyer's new book BREAKING DAWN. Hardcover in dust jacket. First edition, first printing. $22.99.

We now have new Charles Stross hardcover books, still at list price, Signed:
Saturn's Children.
Halting State.
Atrocity Archives (also available signed in trade paperback).
Merchant's War.
The Clan Corporate.

COMING SEPT 20th at 2 pm:
Multi-author Vampire event:
Starring Jeanne C. Stein.
Thanks for your support!

Cheers,
Christine

If you have received this email in error, or would like to be removed from this event list, please return email us at books@mysteryandimagination.com. Thanks, and our apologies if we have clogged your inbox!

MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION
238 N. Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91203
818/545-0206
www.mysteryandimagination.com

p.s. I have no economic interest in this event. JKT

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

I tried to pre-order the books on the Mystery and Imagination Web site, but I could not find them through the search feature, so I'll call them tomorrow.

Those of you attending the event will recognize me because I'm certain to be the only 43-year-old toy brindle dog there. How will I recognize any of you?

Also, I'll be traveling 375 miles (as the car drives) to get to Mystery and Imagination. 99% of the drive will be on I5. Should I expect any traffic on a Saturday morning? I wonder how many hours it will take to get there.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
How will I recognize any of you?

I'll be the human. Be sure to "arf" so we'll spot you.

quote:
Should I expect any traffic on a Saturday morning?

Pardon me whilst I chuckle. OK, I'm back. Perhaps a little traffic. But seriously, you shouldn't have too much as the shoppe is on the northern edge of the town which is on the northern edge of Lost Angels. Be sure to get there early.

I'm always keen on meeting new board members (at least new to me)!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
MTD:

Probably best to order over the phone anyway. The shoppe opens promptly at 10:04 a.m. today. Ask for Mike the Grump and tell him that his reputation is world wide. Smiler

Traffic in L.A. You should not have anything to be concerned about as long as a truck does not spill its load of avacados.

We do need some sort of identifying pin or something for this big events.

John King Tarpinian