Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Celebrations of Life
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebrations of Life
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I will be at the Saturday night Comic-Con tribute for Ray. If anybody sees a fat & balding old man walking around the main hall during the day with a pretty young woman who was in a certain Hugo nominated video about Ray please don't hesitate to say hello. Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...If anybody sees a fat & balding old man walking around the main hall during the day with a pretty young woman who was in a certain Hugo nominated video about Ray please don't hesitate to say hello...

I think he means "If you see a fat & balding old man with a pretty young woman who was in a certain Hugo nominated video - ask him if he's seen jkt anywhere."

Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
...If anybody sees a fat & balding old man walking around the main hall during the day with a pretty young woman who was in a certain Hugo nominated video about Ray please don't hesitate to say hello...

I think he means "If you see a fat & balding old man with a pretty young woman who was in a certain Hugo nominated video - ask him if he's seen jkt anywhere."

Big Grin

I stand by my statement. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I am now swinging heavily towards August 22 for the memorial service! The Buster Keaton play, Stoneface , has been extended till August 26 and I would love to see it again and recommend any of you in the L. A. area do so!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PlanetFest will have a tribute to Ray this Sunday...

http://www.kcet.org/socal/chec...s-at-planetfest.html

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
PlanetFest will have a tribute to Ray this Sunday...

http://www.kcet.org/socal/chec...s-at-planetfest.html

Sounds fantastic and fitting. Hope you get to go, jkt.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
August 26th, Mystery and Imagination in Glendale, CA is going to host a combination B-day party for Ray along with a signing of The Devil’s Coattails with a number of the authors in attendance (still being firmed up) and Terry McVicker will be there signing Nefertiti-Tut express, the last book published before Ray left us. (Gary Gianni, illustrator, has confirmed he will be at the paperback show next April 7th.)

Still in the planning stages for October 21st, the Fremont Theatre is hosting a tribute to Ray where the Pandemonium Theatre Troup will perform pieces from Ray’s play.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I'll be a guest panelist for two special memorial tributes to Ray at Dragon Con 2012, coming up Labor Day weekend in Atlanta, Georgia.

Second only to the San Diego Comic Con, Dragon Con is one of the world's largest gatherings (50,000-plus) of fans and professionals from the worlds of sci-fi, fantasy, horror, comics, films, television and multimedia.

The first panel (focusing on Ray's literary achievements and influence) is set for 5 p.m. Friday. The second panel (focusing on Ray's contributions to film, television and radio) is set for 7 p.m. Saturday.

The final panel lineups haven't been announced, but I know that David Gerrold, Brad Linaweaver and William Stout have been asked to participate as well.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more small event is coming up. The Fremont Centre Theatre and the actors from Ray's Pandemonium Theatre Company will be doing readings and saying their good-byes to their mentor. Sunday, October 21st @ 7:00 p.m. 1000 Fremont @ El Centro, South Pasadena, CA.

There is no admission but donations will be asked for with all donations going to the South Pasadena Library.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
A musical event in Waukegan - not sure who the guy in the poster is...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...002_1874445283_n.jpg

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's Stephen Blackwelder, the conductor of the Waukegan Symphony Orchestra.

Best,

Ken

Posts: 25 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 29 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. He looks good in that little spacesuit! Thanks, Ken.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Not quite in front of the Los Angeles main branch library but still a major intersection in downtown Los Angeles to be named after Ray.

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?...nId:5224&DPS=0&DPL=3

http://maps.google.com/maps?rl...GgDQ&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
This was posted on my Facepage today:

It pleases me to announce a Very Special Event!

"MARS AND THE HEART OF HUMANITY: RAY BRADBURY'S MILLION-YEAR PICNIC" will assemble a diverse panel of thinkers to remember Ray and discuss his favorite planet, Mars, as it's been imagined in the past, as it's being discovered today and as it might eventually become. Confirmed at this time are:

GREG BEAR -- Hugo and Nebula award-winning author of over 40 books, including HULL ZERO THREE and the upcoming HALO: SILENTIUM.

HOWARD V. HENDRIX -- Science fiction novelist, scholar and editor of VISIONS OF MARS and THE MARS ENCYCLOPEDIA.

CHARLES BAKER -- Cruise, Entry, Decent and Landing Lead Mission Planner for JPL's CURIOSITY ROVER.

Panel event conceived and moderated by BILL GOODWIN.

Join us at AltCar Expo 2012, Friday & Saturday, September 28 - 29 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. The panel begins at 4:00 PM on Saturday and the Expo is FREE. Come early see the future of renewable energy and alternative transportation! And ring in Autumn for Ray.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
via Steven Paul Levia:

FIFTH AND FLOWER IS NOW RAY BRADBURY SQUARE!

It is done. Tuesday the Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously to name the L.A. Downtown intersection of Fifth and Flower RAY BRADBURY SQUARE. It was an emotional moment for both me and for Ray’s daughter, Sue Bradbury Nixon. We both were asked to speak, but as time was running short, suddenly, the Council president, gave us only one minute each instead of the traditional three minutes. I basically gave just the first part and the last part of my prepared remarks, and Sue was cut off in the beginning of hers. But Councilmember Jose Huizar, who sponsored the motion with Cpouncilmember Paul Koretz, asked for more time for Sue to finish and that was allowed. I’ve asked Sue for a copy of her remarks, which were wonderful, and if she will allow me I’ll post them here. In the meantime, here’s the full text of my remarks:

Good Morning.

Two years ago this council did something rather extraordinary. In order to mark the 90th birthday of literary legend Ray Bradbury, this council declared not just a day in his honor, which is pretty typical of what city councils do, but a week. As the creator of Ray Bradbury Week, I was incredibly grateful to you. For your blessing allowed me to organize a series of events throughout that week of August 22nd to 28th, all of which were free to the public, that celebrated Ray’s life and work. And Ray was able to attend three of those events. Sadly, they were his last public appearances. But what wonderful events they were. Not only for the public, but for Ray, who -- if he ever had any doubts -- learned that week how much the reading public, his fans, but, most importantly, this city, loved and revered him.

The one thing I wanted to accomplish that week that just couldn’t get done, was to have some great location in this city named after Ray. But I never gave up on the idea. For over a year now, I’ve worked with Councilmember Koretz and his staff, who brought in Councilmember Huizar and his staff, and because of their dedication to this idea and their hard work, we have come to this day.

Now, I know Paul Koretz would have loved to have been here today, but he is observing Rosh Hashanah. He is missed.

Councilmembers, it is absolutely appropriate to name the intersection of Fifth and Flower RAY BRADBURY SQUARE not only because it sits right next to our city’s Central Library, and Ray was libraries greatest champion, but because it is downtown, an area of this city that Ray one lived in, wrote about, and loved.

But it is also appropriate for an intersection to be named after Ray, for, as a writer he worked at the intersection of genre fiction and literary fiction; as a man he lived the intersection of being a public artist people loved so much they wanted him in their families, and being a private man with a wonderful wife and four loving daughters for whom he was husband and Dad; and as an internationally renowned author he stood at the intersection of being a citizen of the world -- and a citizen of this municipality, a proud Angeleno who loved this city passionately.

So I thank you for considering to once again pay Ray Bradbury a great honor, and I urge a YES vote on the motion before you.

Thank you.

John King Tarpinian