Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Celebrations of Life
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebrations of Life
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray would have hated the censorship!

'Strooth!
quote:
I'm sure kids know how to hear the original, uncut version. The new version will be for the parents and teachers!

Aye,'strooth yet again!

What next, jkt? As a rather shy person for whom that video is more "wannabe" than "me", I have to ask:
What would the Firemen- er, parents and teachers - have had me do next? Stop sending him cognac and red wine for his birthday, and send mineral water instead?

What would it do to him, make him die young?

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
quote:
Ray would have hated the censorship!

'Strooth!
quote:
I'm sure kids know how to hear the original, uncut version. The new version will be for the parents and teachers!

Aye,'strooth yet again!

What next, jkt? As a rather shy person for whom that video is more "wannabe" than "me", I have to ask:
What would the Firemen- er, parents and teachers - have had me do next? Stop sending him cognac and red wine for his birthday, and send mineral water instead?

What would it do to him, make him die young?

One should not confuse censorhip with decorum.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

I like the Potter quote. I shall use it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello All:

For those of you in the New York area, we are having a birthday party for Ray Bradbury and discussing SHADOW SHOW and and signing copies of the book.

Alice Hoffman, Mort Castle, Jaquelyn Mitchard, Joe Hill and I will be on hand. Neil Gaiman will join us live via Skype. It will be quite the party. Some of Ray's New York friends and associates will also be there. I hope you can join us:

RAY BRADBURY CELEBRATION

August 22
7 pm
McNally Jackson Books
52 Prince Street

(between Lafayette & Mulberry)

New York City, NY 10012

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

I like the Potter quote. I shall use it.

Sweet! Thank you. "Shall" is a good word.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Weller:
Hello All:

For those of you in the New York area, we are having a birthday party for Ray Bradbury and discussing SHADOW SHOW and and signing copies of the book.

Alice Hoffman, Mort Castle, Jaquelyn Mitchard, Joe Hill and I will be on hand. Neil Gaiman will join us live via Skype. It will be quite the party. Some of Ray's New York friends and associates will also be there. I hope you can join us:

RAY BRADBURY CELEBRATION

August 22
7 pm
McNally Jackson Books
52 Prince Street

(between Lafayette & Mulberry)

New York City, NY 10012

I will be there my brotha! Trying to hook up ComicCom badges as well.

Posts: 71 | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to report that I have been asked to participate in two special panel discussions and appreciation tributes to Ray at Dragon Con 2012 in Atlanta, Georgia. One will focus on his literary work; the other will focus on his work in film, theatre, radio and television.

For those unfamiliar with Dragon Con, it's the East Coast's closest counterpart to San Diego Comic Con (but not quite as large -- it only attracts 50,000-60,000 people per year ...). I was with Ray when he was a guest (along with Ray Harryhausen, Forry Ackerman and Julie Schwartz) in 1998. It was a magical experience, and I've attended every year since.

I don't know too many details about the Ray panels at this point, but I'll post them here as they're available.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Comic-con Tribute to Ray is on their schedule for 6pm Saturday, July 14 in the Indigo Ballroom in the Hilton Bayfront (right next to the convention center).

The panelists are William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson, Marc Scott Zicree, Joe Hill, Margaret Atwood, Sam Weller and Mark Evanier.

They are saying that attendees are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Bradbury Character. Hmm, I don't know if I could dress as Ray himself, lol.

jkt, can you confirm this? I am really really happy about this if it is accurate because I will be there, and will be able to go. It will be a fitting memorial for me, since I bent every effort to go to Comic-con for years, basically just to hear Ray's lecture. The first time I heard him lecture there, I was hooked. He told the story of Mr. Electrico, among other things, and I was surprised to find that he spoke exactly as he wrote, with all the poetic visual imagery, absolutely mesmerizing.

6:00-7:30 A Tribute to the Legendary Ray Bradbury— Some called him the greatest writer of fantasy of all time. He was a writer of legendary science fiction, an inspiration to generations, and a good friend of Comic-Con. We lost him on June 12, and now many of his friends and colleagues gather to celebrate this extraordinary figure. The guest list is still being finalized as this guide goes to press, but it should include authors William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson, Marc Scott Zicree, Joe Hill, and Margaret Atwood, along with figures from the worlds of motion pictures and television. Your hosts are Bradbury biographer Sam Weller (Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury) and Comic-Con special guest Mark Evanier. Attendees are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Bradbury character. Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fanboy,

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
The Comic-con Tribute to Ray is on their schedule for 6pm Saturday, July 14 in the Indigo Ballroom in the Hilton Bayfront (right next to the convention center).

The panelists are William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson, Marc Scott Zicree, Joe Hill, Margaret Atwood, Sam Weller and Mark Evanier.

They are saying that attendees are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Bradbury Character. Hmm, I don't know if I could dress as Ray himself, lol.

jkt, can you confirm this? I am really really happy about this if it is accurate because I will be there, and will be able to go. It will be a fitting memorial for me, since I bent every effort to go to Comic-con for years, basically just to hear Ray's lecture. The first time I heard him lecture there, I was hooked. He told the story of Mr. Electrico, among other things, and I was surprised to find that he spoke exactly as he wrote, with all the poetic visual imagery, absolutely mesmerizing.

Claudia: I have to be honest and must say I've backed off of this because of the original time/date. But this time/date makes a whole heck of a lot better sense.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will be a panel on Ray on Thursday, but it 's not the tribute:

2:00-3:00 Inside the Shadow Show: Ray Bradbury's Lasting Impact on Literature, Comics, Film, and Beyond— Literary legend Margaret Atwood (The Handmaiden's Tale) and acclaimed horror and fantasy writer Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box) are joined by Sam Weller (The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury) and internationally acclaimed horror writer Mort Castle (The Strangers), the co-editors of Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradburyl to reflect on the deep and lasting impact of Bradbury on their work, literature, comics, cinema, and beyond. Moderated by Chris Ryall, CEO and editor-in-chief of IDW Comics. Room 5AB

Looks good, I'd go if I could make Thursday. Jkt, if you end up going on Sat, I'll look for you and say hi.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
We lost him on June 12...

They lost him a week after we did!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know, I noticed that, maybe Comic-con has it's own alternate universe.

posted Hide Post
If votes are being taken I am now leaning slightly more towards August. The reason being, I am trying to shoot as much as possible footage for this documentary http://millionmovieproject.tumblr.com/busterfilm and the deadline is September 23. I started to take one of several self-guided tours around the area, but the walk proved so long and our time so short I hit only two stops.

I was not so keen on August as I was afraid it might be 110 degrees there, but it's just as likely to be 110 where I am and nice there in which case I would be glad to go for it.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday a Tritue to Ray was held by LASFS, the club Ray joined in 1937. Four local authors were in attendance, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournell, George Clayton Johnson and John DeChancie. All four gave lovely talks about Ray and how he directly or indirectly touched their lives. Many members, one who had been attending club meeting for 40 years, gave their own tributes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASFS

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Yesterday a Tritue to Ray was held by LASFS, the club Ray joined in 1937. Four local authors were in attendance, Larry Niven, ...

...which prompts me to (re-)post my photos of Larry Niven with Ray, from 2008:

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post