Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For 4E
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For 4E
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on not being dead. Keep it up!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

I've purchased a Get Well card but been stuck on how to word a message. This seems a great start.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

I've purchased a Get Well card but been stuck on how to word a message. This seems a great start.

I hand delivered a simple funny card with monkey's on it last weekend. Signed simply, "With Love."

You can always send a Birthday Card in two weeks since 4E's big day is on the 24th.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update, from the AckerMiniMansion:

Thanks for all of your love and support. I pass each message on to Forry. Right now, I need everyone's help to dispel any misinformation traveling around fandom. As I've said before, Forry gleefully relishes the early obits and other stuff. But it's important that friends and fans don't suffer distress from false reports and mere opinions. Recently, for example, someone wrote to me that they'd heard that Forry is "starving himself to death." That is completely UNTRUE. Forry has increasing difficulty swallowing. He chokes when he tries to eat or drink anything. Still, he's requesting Ensure and lots of water and doing his best to get it down.

Let me make this absolutely clear. Forry is not willing to hurt himself to make a quick exit. He's just unwilling or desiring to get better. He's made the choice to bide his time until he goes to sleep and doesn't wake up. He's not ill with infection anymore but he has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure which is in early stages. His body is weakening and he doesn't walk anymore.

For everyone's peace of mind, please don't give weight to reports from others who may pop in and visit Forry only periodically. I am at his side (along with caregiver Dolly, close pal Pam Keesey and Earl) every day from the moment he wakes up until the moment he goes to bed. All of us who are caring for him are trying to get him to hang around as long as possible without disobeying his wishes for no medical intervention. I look upon every day we have with Forry as an opportunity for more fans and friends to express their appreciation and love for him. Love, Joe

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Went by 4E's this morning. He was sleeping, but stable, I'm assured.

Dropped off a copy of a new DVD we're putting out soon, Three Legends, which is a document of last February's joint appearance of 4E and the two Rays.

I didn't even have the artwork printed up yet, but thought he might like to not wait for that.

Got a call from actor Curtis Armstrong (a fan of 4E's) today, asking after his health. There are so many people truly concerned for the well-being of this fine gentleman.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Bless you, Doug for providing hospice for the dear old Ackermonster!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me? I appreciate your comment, but it's Dolly the nurse providing hospice - I just try to help as I can (which isn't much).

The above post was posted on behalf of Joe Moe. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

Nonetheless, thanks I'm sure!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
A treasure trove for anyone who was never able to visit the original AckerMansion.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
More concerned friends: spoke with Angus Scrimm on the phone today, who was very concerned to know the extent of Forry's condition. I told him as much as I knew, and he wondered to me if he could cook him up some good old homemade chicken soup and take over (Tall Man Soup). I told him maybe chicken broth - Forry isn't swallowing foodstuffs very well.

He then thought about picking him up some of his favourite flavour of Häagen-Dazs, but then re-thought the idea, saying that all that fat might not be the best thing for a heart condition. I told him that at this point, it probably matters little - if he can enjoy it (and I'm told that he can taste sweets), then let him do so.

Enjoy this, won't you? Forry, Angus, and Brooke Perry at supper after a recent Bradbury play:

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Posted on Forry's Facebook page this morning:

"Following a long depressing haul, there is some good news."

"All of your cards, letters and well-wishes have really caused Forry to rally! The torrent of love flooding the Ackerminimansion has encouraged Forry to fight for his life. I can't predict how much longer we'll have him around. A day? A week? A month? Who knows? But I can tell you we're taking full advantage of this upturn to really encourage Forry to get stronger and hang around a while more. I am actually feeling hopeful he'll make it to his 92nd birthday on November 24th. Please pass this message on and let everyone know that their tributes, stories and prayers have had a miraculous effect on Forry. We should all continue to support him (and each other) and enjoy his presence as long as we are able. Thank you all so much!"

Joe Moe

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Just got a phone call from Mr Scrimm, whom I will be driving to the Ackerminimansion tomorrow. He is indeed going to cook him up a batch of his chicken soup, which he assures me will put Forry "back in the pink!"

I certainly hope so, Mr Scrimm.

The Tall Man rocks! And Uncle Forry rules - you can't keep a good monster down.

And Ray. Ray rules too.

Oh, by the way: belated credit to Terry Pace for taking the wonderful photo above.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Dolly is the caregiver who has been with Forry around the clock, night and day (with a few days off here and there), ever since the fall. Unless I'm mistaken, she is not an actually an official "hospice" nurse.

With Dolly still there, Joe told me that a hospice nurse was brought in after Forry returned home from his hospital stay for the urinary tract/bladder infection that seemed to bring everything else to light (the pneumonia, the congestive heart failure, etc.).

To shed some light on another name that merits considerable attention: In addition to being a dear and longtime friend of Forry's, my pal Pam Keesy is a highly noted and respected writer and editor of horror/vampire stories for women. She has been accurately described by Maureen McHugh as "a force of nature ... like an electrical storm." She's also one of the nicest, sweetest and most compassionate people in the world. She is totally devoted to Forry.

Pam's books include DARK ANGELS: LESBIAN VAMPIRE STORIES, DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS: LESBIAN VAMPIRE STORIES, VAMPS: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE FEMME FATALE, WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WEREWOLVES and the SCI-FI WOMANTHOLOGY, which she co-edited with none other than Forry himself. I highly recommend each and every one of them.

My favorite Pam piece (partly because it's one of my favorite films, and a Bradbury favorite as well) is her HORROR FILM READER piece "The Power of Suggestion: Why Robert Wise's THE HAUNTING Continues to Deliver the Goods for Modern Audiences."

I'll be deciding later today whether I'll be heading out Horrorwood way next week.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Angus Scrimm and I went over to visit Forry tonight and delivered some of his homemade chicken soup along with a surprise gift. It perked him right up.

When Forry saw Angus, he sat up in bed and hollered out, "boooy!!!"

Don't know why the photo came out so large - it usually doesn't do that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hey, he looks great! My Get Well card went in the mail yesterday, hoping that if some cards effected a recovery, enough will bring about a cure!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post