Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For 4E
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For 4E
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
that's a nice pic, Nard, thanks! It does almost look like he's waving goodbye forever.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is lifting a benediction unto us all.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
A memorial tribute to Uncle Forry will take place Sunday, March 8, at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.

It sure will.

Keep an eye on this page.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The January 2009 issue of Locus magazine has a nice tribute to 4E in it along with some lovely appreciations by other authors.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 4E memorial is scheduled for 1/24 at the LASFS.

Information here.

Also, this just in:

From Steve Vertlieb:

Forrest J Ackerman was, perhaps, the most beloved figure in all of Science Fiction. He was a gentle, fatherly influence to millions of "children" of all ages around the world, and inspired the careers of such luminaries as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Stephen King, and John Landis. His boyhood friends included Ray Bradbury and Ray Harryhausen.

He edited "Famous Monsters Of Filmland" Magazine for twenty five years in its initial run, and coined the term "Sci-Fi." "Forry" passed from this Earth in December, 2008, but his tender soul still touches us deeply. I was honored to call him my treasured friend for some forty five years and, as his friend, have been asked by the editors of The Thunder Child to compose a personal remembrance of the man and his legend. I'm honored to share a few sweet recollections of my memories of The Ackermonster. I hope that they may bring a smile to your lips, and peace to your hearts. You'll discover Forry at the link found lovingly below.

http://thethunderchild.co...ForryAckermanTribute.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
A 4E memorial is scheduled for 1/24 at the LASFS.

I just received an email from Ray, who asked me to pass along his tribute to 4E, as he is under other obligations that day. For those who will not be there (possibly including me), the text follows:

"I was with Forry a few weeks before he left us and was able to look into his face and tell him of the million things he did for me over a seventy year period. Forry changed my life completely starting when I was 17 and paid for my Futuria Fantasia completely. He then loaned me the money to go to New York to see the first World Science Fiction Convention. There are so many things that he did and he was so wonderful. Please pass this message along to all my LASFS friends. I'm sorry that I can't be there with you."

- Ray Bradbury

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
On the chance that anyone on the forum had any difficulty logging onto my remembrance of Forry...The Most "Famous Monster" Of Them All...published at the Thunder Child Sci-Fi web site, I thought I'd take a moment to post the direct link to the tribute. It is my hope that this affectionate look at a forty five year friendship might help to bring peace to your hearts, and a smile to your lips.

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/VertliebViews/ForryAckermanTribute.html

God Bless You, Forry...

Steve Vertlieb

Posts: 47 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve. It's me, John. In case "Doug Spaulding" confused you.

Loved the photo you just emailed me of you guys and Ray - you should post it here for the folks to see.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I'm not terribly computer literate. If you'd like to post the photograph, you've my permission. It was taken by mutual friend, composer/orchestrator John Morgan, in Ray's living room in the Summer of 1974. My little brother Erwin, and I, were the honored guests that evening in Ray's Los Angeles home. Knowing my love of film, Ray was eager to show us a few minutes of the Technicolour 16mm print of "Moby Dick" he'd been given by John Huston. It was a wonderful evening.

Blessings,

Steve

Posts: 47 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard/Richard/Doug: Now that they have announced a musical stage version of Thriller who should play 4E? I'm thinking Donn Albright or Sean Connery.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Vertlieb:
I'm afraid I'm not terribly computer literate. If you'd like to post the photograph, you've my permission. It was taken by mutual friend, composer/orchestrator John Morgan, in Ray's living room in the Summer of 1974. My little brother Erwin, and I, were the honored guests that evening in Ray's Los Angeles home. Knowing my love of film, Ray was eager to show us a few minutes of the Technicolour 16mm print of "Moby Dick" he'd been given by John Huston. It was a wonderful evening.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You'll likely
find photos here
of Forry Ackerman
long forgotten or
never laid eyes on:

NOTE- check out #63-64 photos. (2nd page,
4th row down, the 2, far right photos). Click on the
pictures to magnify and get a really close look at
4E's working area.

http://billmills.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=13

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In today's Los Angeles Times there is an article about the auction of 4E's treasure trove.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-ackerman5-20...,2367638,print.story

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...the auction of 4E's treasure trove.

This is just sad - breaking up the family.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
It's wrong. The original Ackermansion should never have been broken up. If only some of Forry's influential friends had moved to secure the collection while he lived and arranged to house it after his passing!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post