Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For 4E
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For 4E
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I believe there is a place for good people and that they find another happiness there when they have fought the good fight here on Earth. As Forry always said. "There is always room for one more!" I know he will be among those that are good people. I am glad to have met him and visited him in his home. He is a gracious and giving person with a fabulous sense of humor. So many people took advantage of his good nature, some even helped themselves to his treasures over the years. He bore no hard feelings, only glad that someone also appreciated his passion. What a nice person. If it is his time, I know he will be in a bigger Ackermansion surrounded by adoring fans and other good people.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Joe Moe, 4E's friend and assistant. I'm trying to arrange for a short visit sometime this week, and that's compleatly up to whether 4E feels like he can receive anyone.

As of now, the house is shut, but that could change depending on how he feels from day to day.

Joe says he just this morning asked to get out of bed and go sit in the living room. He also said that he is not suffering (in pain) at all, and is not on any pain killers or intravenous sustenance either.

He has assured Joe that he has had a wonderful life, and that he is ready and feeling no apprehension.

And as of today, he's still making puns.

Stay tuned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Ray, whom I updated on 4E's condition.

He says they had a wonderful visit Saturday afternoon, and he was so glad that he was able to stop by.

I hope it's not the last opportunity he has to see him.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with 4E on the phone yesterday, and Anita just got off the phone with Joe Moe.

Forry is resting as comfortably as possible. He read my tribute to him earlier today and got a tremendous kick out of the Halloween photo of our kids, Forrest (his namesake) and Alexandra, as the Frankenstein Monster and his Bride. Another generation following in Forry's footsteps ...

I've talked with Ray daily since "The Jar" reunion last week. He told me he was glad he went by to visit Forry early Saturday evening, but he said he found it impossible to say goodbye. "So I just told him I loved him and I wouldn't be who I am without him, and then I told him, 'Goodbye, just in case.' "

In addition to Ray, Forry has received visits from Jim Warren, George Clayton Johnson, John Landis, Don Glut, Kevin Burns and many others. Our friend David J. Skal will be stopping by tomorrow (possibly with 99-year-old Carla Laemmle, one of Forry's dearest friends), and Dick Sheffield will be calling from his home in Mexico. We've left a message for our buddy Billy Bob Thornton, one of Forry's most fervent admirers.

No one could ask for a more loving farewell ...

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted this on the Classic Horror Film Board but thought it might be of interest here as well:

Dear, gentle, wondrous Bob Burns graciously gave me permission to quote from a warm and moving e-mail message he sent me yesterday, not long after he and Kathy had visited Forry:

"One wonderful thing that (Forry) did though is he sang the song 'Baby Face' to Kathy. It was very slow and took him awhile and I just broke down and cried. ... I feel better as I finally got to tell him just how much he's meant to me (I've known him since 1950 and that's 58 years.) and how he's helped all of us Monster Kids use our imaginations as kids and not to feel odd that we might be just a little different than some people and that it's OK to hear the sound of that different drummer. We're just so lucky to have him as long as we have."

Beautifully expressed, Bob. My sentiments exactly.

Once my own Monster Kids came along in 2004 and '05, Anita invested in a videocamera and we have been recording various and sundry childlike activities as well as several significant Monster Kid occasions. One of my favorites has to be Forry serenading our little infant Forrest with a rousing rendition of "Baby Pace" the first time we took our first-born to the Acker-Minimansion. I have a feeling that one will become one of our most cherished possessions.

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, Terry.

I, too received an email from Bob last night and must echo that he is indeed and kind and wonderful fellow, just like our dear Uncle.

Some of my most pleasant memories include 4E singing to us as we were visiting.

That video will certainly be a great keepsake.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a video of Forry singing to me a song he composed for Marlene Dietrich, bless him.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received this note Tuesday from two Big Forry and Ray Fans -- Dana Gioia, director of the National Endowment for the Arts, and David Kipen, the endowment's literature director:

"Take it from a couple of his fellow Angelenos: Forry's warping influence on impressionable youth all over Los Angeles and around the world is pervasive
and never-ending. Please convey to him our very best wishes, and know that his evil influence is strongly felt in the corridors of power a continent away."

Also received a warm message from our friend David J. Skal, impeccable horror historian, who visited Forry yesterday and had a chance to spend some precious quality time with him.

Terry Pace

posted Hide Post
In case any of you encountered an alarming post by the British Fantasy Society earlier today, Forry is weakening but still very much alive.

No wonder they call themselves a "fantasy" society.

Terry Pace

posted Hide Post
Note the priceless look on 4E's face:

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Ha, that look is classic - I like how his hair is even standing on end.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
I like how his hair is even standing on end.

Yeah - that's not the only thing that's standing up!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
ya.....Big Grin

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following was posted today on the British Fantasy Society News website:

"Published by Guy Adams on 07 Nov 2008

Forrest J Ackerman - An Apology
Yesterday, having read a similarly erroneous posting elsewhere, I wrote of the death of Forrest J Ackerman. I am pleased to be able to say that he is still with us and can only apologise for my haste to pass on our condolences when I would have been better placed checking that the story was true.

No excuse, it didn’t occur to me for one moment to cross check, I just assumed it to be true and was determined that the society should express its sympathies. That was sloppy of me.

My sincere apologies for the confusion and upset the piece may have caused.

Guy Adams"

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Guy also apologised "in person" on the classic monster board, and I thought it was very good of him to do so:

"Guy Adams here, Chair of the BFS and distinctly apologetic poster of the offending news item on the BFS website.

As I have said over there I agree wholeheartedly that I should have cross checked the facts but having read of FJA's passing elsewhere I was determined that the society should pass on its condolences.

In response to some of the comments here I would like to make it clear that it was not through some bleak determination to be the 'first' to post such awful news - and be an 'important' fan as Jessie Lilley put it - to be honest I can't imagine anyone who would think in such terms but accept that I may be being naive. The British Fantasy Society is a community of fans whose committee volunteer their time to maintain the day to day running of the society and its events. I make no claims whatsoever to be a genre journalist I simply post items to our news page that I think are of interest to our members and others - as do the rest of the committee - and I'm afraid in this situation I made a sloppy mistake, there really is no more to it than that. Having been saddened to hear what I believed to be the truth - and no, it didn't occur to me to check, which was stupid, having known of his condition I just assumed the story to be true, sloppy... - I wanted to pass on our respects. No malice. No underlying motive. Just sadness and an urge to commiserate.

Obviously I apologise unconditionally for any upset it caused."

"Live Forever!"