Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For 4E
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For 4E
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Beautiful (no period after the "J", but other than that...)!

The master document has the dot. Does 4E not dot his J?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No - he's never been a dotter.

But I'm sure it's of little importance; that's just his way.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
No - he's never been a dotter.

But I'm sure it's of little importance; that's just his way.

Then I will de-dot all furture J's.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
De-dot is a good word (and surprisingly fun to say!)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4E's friend Steve Vertlieb emailed me this article he just wrote on Bela Lugosi. Good insight on a fascinating fellow.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Visited Saturday. Photos.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This is extremely difficult, but I wanted everyone here to know that Forry's health has taken what may be a fateful turn for the worse.

Anita and the kids and I spoke with Mr. Sci-Fi on the phone last night (Halloween, of course) and customarily wished him the creepy compliments of the sinister season.

The Ackermonster has just returned home from the hospital (his life, his choice ... and one that we must respect) and is bravely battling pneumonia, but in spite of his weakened condition he was in good spirits when we spoke. He had been greeting a steady stream of trick-or-treaters throughout the evening and had just finished watching Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader? on television when we called. (He made sure we knew that he had passed the show with flying colors.)

Uncle Forry was delighted when I told him that our own Little Monsters, his namesake Forrest (4) and baby sister Alexandra (3), had just finished a robust round of trick-or-treating in full costume as the Frankenstein Monster and his electrifying Bride. He was especially amused when I told him that Alexandra had introduced the two of them to fellow mini-revelers at a neighborhood Halloween party by saying, "Hi! I'm the Bride of Frankenstein ... and this is my brother ... Frankenstein!"

I will be calling the Mini-Mansion at least once a day, speaking to Forry directly and Joe as well, and will report here as much as necessary, whenever I can. A few select people are being encouraged to visit in person (please understand that these numbers need to be limited, as do calls to the house), but for now I would highly recommend as many cards and letters as possible, and certainly as soon as possible. The address is:

Forrest J Ackerman
4511 Russell Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90027

If this is indeed Forry's final bow, the Famous Monster will be reminded (as he certainly knows already) of how much he is truly admired and adored by so very, very many.

If there is a chance (however slim) that he can still rebound and recover, the depth and degree of the response would certainly reinforce his will to live and secure whatever strength he has to keep fighting.

I'll be glad to answer any specific questions if anyone wants to contact me directly at the e-mail below, or on my cellphone, (256) 366-4512.

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Terry, I just got your email. I am so concerned for my beloved Uncle 4E.

Just got off the phone with jkt who was at the residence. They're trying to arrange for Ray to come see him today. I don't mean to sound bleak, but the vibration coming out of the mini-mansion is not a good one.

I'll report anything I know here. Please do the same.

God bless you Uncle 4E, and please get better soon.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, Ray should be arriving at 4E's in about twenty minutes for what I hope will not be his last visit with the man he loves.

4E requested him to come by today if at all possible, and Ray has postponed (briefly) an important function to do this, bless him.

George Clayton Johnson was there earlier today visiting, and 4E is reported in good spirits. jkt will drive George tomorrow for yet another visit.

Stay tuned, as they say.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated, I have put him on the prayer list at my church. I'm glad he is in good spirits, but I know that pneumonia is dangerous at his age. If anything happens, I'd rather read about it here than on yahoo....

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Constant updates here.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
DS and ALL: A very special prayer tonight is said for this very creative, fine gentleman!!
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doug!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I just heard from a friend that visited Forry this afternoon. Forry is very weak and tired but not in pain and still smiles and chats a little. Everyone thinks he doesn't have much time left. Forry asked to leave the hospital and go home so he could spend his last hours in his home (and I like to think - to be surrounded by his wonderful collection).
Gosh - I am going to miss him. For the last 30 years that I have been lucky enough to know him, he has been so very kind to me. Let's drink a toast to Forry for all he has done for all of us!
-Patricia

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post