Ray Bradbury Forums
For 4E

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6461042933

18 February 2009, 04:39 PM
Steve Vertlieb
For 4E
Received this note in yesterday's mail from Ray Harryhausen in London. Thought you might find it of value.

February 11, 2009

Dear Steve

Thanks for the article about Forry. I thought it was very good and most touching. I spoke briefly to him on the phone a few days before he actually died. He sounded very weak and hardly understandable. His companion said he was about to pass out, but it was over a week before he actually died. When I moved to Europe I hardly ever saw him except at various conventions. His magazine was very helpful in bringing attention to "the boys in the backroom." It is not just the stars who make a successful production. He died at 92, and so lived a long and successful life. It was a pity he had to sell his big collection to pay for his law suit. He did not get anything, I understand.

All the best...Ray
19 February 2009, 08:22 PM
Doug Spaulding
Who can open this link?

Tribute to Forrest J Ackerman
Celebrate the life of an icon!
Event Info Host:
the American Cinematheque
Date:
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Time:
3:00pm - 10:00pm
Street:
6712 Hollywood Blvd.
City/Town:
Hollywood, CA

Contact InfoPhone:
Email:
www.americancinematheque.com

Description
The world pays homage to the late, great Dr. Acula, Mr Science Fiction, The Ackermonster, Uncle Forry! Coined the term Sci-Fi! Edited Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine. Was collector and curator of the Ackermuseum of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror memorabilia. Was the inspiration of youngsters who grew up to be John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen, and on and on.

"Live Forever!"
20 February 2009, 01:21 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Who can open this link?

Not I.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
20 February 2009, 10:19 AM
groovista
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Who can open this link?

Not I.

"The door to the House of FaceBook creaked wide. A breeze of bits issued forth. There was immense sighing and moaning of web chatter..." 8-)

I'm on FaceBook and can report to the group. Doug's post contains the whole of what's posted there at the moment. There is a link to Google Maps for the address.

www.groovium.com
20 February 2009, 10:43 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by groovista:
Doug's post contains the whole of what's posted there at the moment.

And that's why I pasted it - I was afraid it would be up-openable for many.

"Live Forever!"
20 February 2009, 12:03 PM
biplane1
I was able to open it, and with great pleasure I might add. And besides, it is Friday! And John, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed all 94 of your photos. What a neat life you lead to be so close to Ray, and Forest when we was with us, George Clayton Johnson, and on and on.

Did you take photo of Forest and Steven Spielberg?
20 February 2009, 12:18 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I was able to open it, and with great pleasure I might add. And besides, it is Friday! And John, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed all 94 of your photos. What a neat life you lead to be so close to Ray, and Forest when we was with us, George Clayton Johnson, and on and on.

Did you take photo of Forest and Steven Spielberg?

Thank you for your kind words.

We'll see how much longer I will be close to Ray. More later.

No, Joe Moe took that photo. That's a Joe Moe Phoe Toe.

"Live Forever!"
20 February 2009, 12:36 PM
Doug Spaulding
A gift.

The article starts on page 21.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"
22 February 2009, 11:52 PM
Doug Spaulding
Another fine article.

"Live Forever!"
23 February 2009, 07:37 AM
groovista
quote:
Another fine article.

Doug, thank you beyond measure for these links.

It says much about a man when the high caliber of his friends is revealed after he's gone. Joe Moe's interview is wonderfully erudite and lucid; it's one of the better biographical pieces I've ever read.

I had the honor and pleasure of caretaking for an elderly friend of mine here in Big Sur, during the last years of his life. Like Uncle Forry (and my late grandmother), he, too, got to choose the time and manner of his passing. Bob Nash started his next adventure in his own bed next to his cat, with the sound of the oak grove rustling and the Pacific breakers murmuring far below.

http://www.bobnashbigsur.com

I was tickled to read in Joe Moe's interview that he has long advocated a collectable action figure of Uncle Forry, which covers somewhat another post I made. Perhaps the idea will be mooted about at the Tribute. Here's Joe Moe:

"Heehee. Imagine being able to set Uncle Forry among the Monster models? The grand old man in his beige 1970's Polyester leisure suit and Dracula cape! C'mon, it's a slam-dunk! Somebody, make it happen. Pretty pleeeeease!? (Hey, Matt...)"

www.groovium.com
23 February 2009, 10:39 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by groovista:
It says much about a man when the high caliber of his friends is revealed after he's gone.

And note this snippet from an earlier tribute by Jim Warren:

A lot of people are saying he was a good man.
He was not a good man.
He was a great man.
His friends adored him.
His fans couldn’t get enough of him.
People he never met idolized him.
His enemies hated him because he was a better man than they were.

That last line is so telling, and if one was fortunate enough to know him personally, they compleatly understand that.

"Live Forever!"
23 February 2009, 02:40 PM
biplane1
I only got to speak with Forest one time on the telephone but it was such a treat. He told me about some young Korean girls who had stopped by the Ackermansion. I wished now that I called him more when he was well and able to converse.

Thanks, Doug, for making all of the articles, etc., avialable to us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,
23 February 2009, 04:57 PM
William Lantry
Ah, yes. I remember "the young Korean girls wo." Forry always looked forward to their visits ... :-)

Anita and I are still trying to make arrangements to attend the March 8 tribute at the Cinematheque. I'm also hoping to be working on my Ray book while I'm out there. Even though it will be a short stay, I may try to make it out for Spring Break and then again right after the semester ends in May.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, please vote for our ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR reunion of "The Jar" as Best Fan Event in this year's Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards. Details can be found on the "Terry Pace/Norman Lloyd/Ray Bradbury" thread in this folder.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury
23 February 2009, 10:29 PM
Doug Spaulding
Nice article in the Comic-Con periodical they sent out this year.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9...n2009featuring4e.pdf

"Live Forever!"
27 February 2009, 08:35 PM
Doug Spaulding
Estate Auction.

Scroll down one paragraph.

"Live Forever!"