Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Spring Clean

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Clean
 Login/Join

posted
I've re-organised the Books section of my website, to make it more useful and easier to navigate. Added a few more cover illustrations as well.

And new for 2007 (as they say) is a page of books ABOUT Bradbury.

I would be grateful for any feedback, and notification of any broken links. (I've spent two days at it, and my eyes have had it!)

One last thing: wherever you see a black rectangle, that represents a book I haven't got a cover scan for (either because I don't own the book in question, or because I haven't got the dust jacket!). If anyone can send me covers scans of any of these, I would be eternally grateful. I've already scoured the web to fill in some gaps, but gaps remain.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Done, Phil!
I have a British version of "Fever Dream" (and other stories), with a cover I didn't see on your site. I didn't find an image on line and I am scanner-less; but I did find this one of DW. (It's the one we (then) adolescent boys liked.)
Sorry I haven't found any you really need though.
By the way I agree with Nard- your site is wonderful!

ImageDandelion_Wine.jpg (11 Kb, 12 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That figures. It's my most-hated DW cover.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BII. I've seen this one before, but obviously overlooked it. I'll add it some time soon.

I don't think it's a BAD cover, although I think it is misleading. That skull would make me think it's on of Bradbury's scary books, but it obviously isn't.

Reminds me of the British paperback version that I own, which seems to show a hanging in the background. Whether suicide or lynching, it suggests events I don't remember reading about in the book itself!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, "one of Bradbury's scary books, but it obviously isn't."
- except for the "Lonely One" bit!
Actually the subject of this cover came up long ago on the "Old Board". Dandy and I expressed similar impressions then.
Shall I try to find someone with a scanner for "Fever Dream" for you?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, how could I forget the Lonely One? (Still has nothing to do with a skull, though.)

If you can get that cover scanned, I would be grateful, but don't worry if you can't.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, what a great resource you have for all of us to enjoy! I direct my students to your site often when doing background searches and general intros. Thanks for your ongoing effort.

My least favorite cover, probably:
http://home.wlv.ac.uk/%7Ein5379/covers/fullsize/i_sing.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, I completely agree! It's a hideous cover, both in it's own terms and as an illustration for that particular book. It happens to be the first copy I ever owned (go it from a secondhand bookshop). I'm amazed that cover ever sold any copies!

I'm always rather bemused by this one as well.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Speaking of covers, this one is a classic:

http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/covers/fullsize/dandelion3.jpg

The one from my youth - my first memories of this amazing work.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I'm always rather bemused by this one as well.

It's like something Pink Floyd would have done!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been intrigued by this one. This cover is the most unusual, as mentioned on Phil's site, since Mr. B. thought of it as one of his favorites. The catch? The artist of it is unknown! (How could that be?)

It adds to the mystique of the IM collection in an metaphoric manner!

http://www.greenberryhouse.com/000933.jpg

(All due respects to PN, I couldn't enlarge the pic from your site.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, someone, somewhere, must know who the artist was. It just isn't known to me, Ray Bradbury, his publishers, or (presumably) his agents. Or Jerry Weist, author of RB: An Illustrated Life.

(Incidentally, for many of the books listed on my site, if you click on those little thumbnail images you will be taken to a page with more information, and sometimes even more images.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
One other person may well know this artist and that is Donn Albright.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and now I've added a bit on William F. Nolan, including a link to a Bradbury bibliography first published in the 1950s.

- Phil