Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Our reading group is doing a study on Mr. Bradbury...and

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our reading group is doing a study on Mr. Bradbury...and
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to come here asking for some assistance. First, some info...there are ten members of our group and a majority of them (probably 7 of 10) have not read anything from him before (myself included, sadly enough).

For October (as a celebration of October 2001 which was Ray Bradbury Month - better late than never), we're doing one Bradbury book of your choosing (I've chosen "Farenheit 451") along with "From the Dust Returned".

What kind of info can you guys give me - the fan of Bradbury's...the 'regular' guy who reads every Bradbury book? I've printed out a bunch of stuff from this site (i.e. Who Bradbury is, etc.) but I'd like more.

Also, I'd like to know if there's anything anyone has come up with i.e. a reading guide or a point of reference for these books. I'm on a million reading group sites and they have none listed...

Any help or info you guys could give would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 1 | Location: Johnstown, PA - USA | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry there've been no responses to this one. Sounds like a legitimate request for relevant information. Perhaps if you had more specific questions some of the experts and fans here could jump in with more help.

By the way, Bradbury is an excellent selection for an October author.

If you look through these postings (somewhere) there is a listing for a study guide for The Martian Chronicles. I can't remember where it is.

The Cliffs Notes have pretty good Bradbury summaries, and I actually recommend them to my students, BUT NOT IN THE PLACE OF READING BRADBURY DIRECTLY.

Bradbury lends himself to being read at many levels -- some a bit contrived, perhaps, but some quite good. I'll copy one string on an October theme in this posting, so you can get a feel for how I look at Bradbury stories (although he is pure fun to read just for the pleasure of the language and stories!).

You might also go to the postings on favorite characters and the postings on how Bradbury influences peoples' lives. Those are interesting to read through.

- - - - - - - - -

Ray Bradbury Discussion Board
Favorite Book/ Story
A little let down

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic: A little let down
tm
Junior Member posted 08-30-2002 08:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently read the anthology "October Dreams: A celebration of Halloween" which inludes short stories and favorite halloween memories by a variety of authors.Bradbury's submission,"Heavy Set" seems like a poor choice to me.The story seems at most, vaguely related to the holiday and fails to capture the halloween magic that we all know Bradbury is capable of.I'm not bashing the story,just curious about it's inclusion. Even his essay on "my favorite halloween memory" seems short, solemn and a mabey even a little out of place from an author who excels at essays.The book itself is dedicated to Ray Bradbury and I guess I just expected him to shine so far above the rest in a subject so well within his expertise.
IP: Logged

Nightshade
Member posted 08-31-2002 05:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Certainly "The Emissary," "The October Game," "The Next in Line," "The Black Ferris," "Uncle Einar," or even "The Candy Skull" would've been better choices for this particular anthology when it comes to invoking a Halloweenish evocation. Although I love "Heavy-Set," I can't understand how that was chosen for an All-Saint's Eve book, either. Perhaps some of the aforementioned stories have been more widely anthologized ...?

dandelion
Moderator posted 09-01-2002 01:36 AM
Those would have all been good choices. "Homecoming" is still the best, but, of course, widely anthologized.

tm
Junior Member posted 09-04-2002 03:57 PM
Good point about the other widely anthologized stories.It might have been nice for someone new to Bradbury though.I guess a lot of us that frequent this site are familiar with all those anthologies with stories from Bradbury and the "california" authors.

Nard Kordell
Member posted 09-04-2002 10:25 PM
Well, talking about October type of things...
Bradbury has remarked that one of his own favorites, is titled with the name of an other month.... April Witch. I think it first appeared in "The Saturday Evening Post." In fact, lots of his stories appeared there, most all with great illustrations. Forget where it was later anthologized. "And Sailor Home From the Sea" is a masterpiece.

Mr. Dark
Member posted 09-13-2002 11:24 PM
I agree that the selections cited by others would have been more predictable choices. I would probably add "The Coffin", "The Dwarf" and "The Skeleton". These definitely would have been "better" selections that would have been more obviously suited to this kind of anthology.
So why "Heavy Set"? While only Bradbury can answer that (I suppose the editors have some insight on it); a very plausible theory covered already is that the more traditional Bradbury Halloween stories are already well-anthologized. I agree, however, with the counter-argument that other stories are more representative of Bradbury's "October Writings" and this would be a good forum to introduce new horror readers to Bradbury's more traditionally "Halloweeny" stories. In fact, the book is big enough it could have included the entire text of "The Halloween Tree" for that matter.

Sometimes a stretch is acceptable in trying to figure things out. I hope you can bear with me on this one. One of the things about Halloween is that everyone wears a mask. What that does is creates a sense of anonymity that, I think, represents isolation.

It is interesting to me that Heavy Set works so hard on the pumpkins. When I was growing up, we carved pumpkins and took great pride in creating funny, scary, creative, etc., versions. We had a lot of fun doing them. Does it appear to anyone that Heavy Set is having any fun here? Not likely! Then why does he do it? I think it represents the hollowness and isolation that defines his life.

Much of his isolation is self-induced. His mother loves him, but she is rooted in fear, also; and a sense of impotence to do anything for him (or for herself, for that matter!). She is alone (divorced, widowed, never married?) and doesn't seem any better at going outside their little castle of isolation to resolve it than he is. They live there together, alone and in fear and frustration. (The ending of the story portrays that well enough.)

In the other stories -- the more traditional Halloween stories -- the fear, dread and isolation are temporary and tied to specific events. But for Heavy Set and his mother, the isolation, loneliness, fear and anger are ever-present, self-imposed, and it seems unlikely that they will ever get beyond it.

What could be more terrifying than that?

This is a little like the sadness and isolation represented in Bradbury's story "The Dwarf". Another compelling story about lifelong futility against loneliness and isolation.

I think Bradbury sees these as being representative of the kinds of feelings many individuals have. They just quietly live their lives in isolated loneliness and frustration -- lacking the courage, insight, or will to go outside their zones of comfort and make things better.

They are obviously not happy.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 09-28-2002).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think many adults would really enjoy reading Something Wicked This Way Comes in the middle of Fall. Well, maybe enjoy isn't the right word.

This was my introduction to Bradbury (in my 40s). You don't need a reading guide or pre-conceived notions. Read it quickly, listen to your heart, and discuss.

PS: unfortunately, most reading groups in America do not have male participants. Too bad, because SWTWC is the best story about fatherhood I've ever read.

[This message has been edited by deanzat (edited 10-02-2002).]

Posts: 26 | Location: Ojai, CA, USA | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BillieGirl,

As the biggest Bradbury fan I feel compelled to offer you the following suggestions on reading Bradbury. First of all, read Bradbury! Anything! Everything he writes is poetry and should be consumed as such. But more specifically, Dandelion Wine is still the best thing I have ever read. Not just by Bradbury, mind. By anyone! Waste no time in devouring The Martian Chronicles either. A thing of beauty. To round out the Holy Trinity of Ray, read Something Wicked this Way Comes, as fine a horror story as you'll ever read. Terrific movie, too. One of the few to get it right.

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can Get your hands on The Halloween Tree it is exellent. It is one of Rays very own favorites. This is the season, October search for that novel then take turns reading it aloud in your group it is a joy at this time of year to read. I suggest others you may want to find in the Month of October, the stories, Trapdoor, Gotcha, The Smiling People, Fever Dream, Pillar of Fire, Come into my Cellar, Interim you can find most of the above mentioned in The stories of Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post