Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I goofed

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I goofed
 Login/Join

posted
I mailed Mr. Bradbury a letter and a copy of Fahrenheit 451 over a year ago. I weighed it and printed out stickers to send it and for him to send it back. Recently I found out that those weigh and print postage stickers are only good at the post office you buy them at, so Mr. Bradbury couldn't send it back with that postage. I really wish I have put stamps on it instead. Maybe I will send another copy the right way this time. Bummer.

Posts: 4 | Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brent, before you do PM or email me and I'll have someone look into it if possible.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think it could be found in a pile of mail somewhere? I wonder if I could then just send postage to get it sent back. What is your email?

Posts: 4 | Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Message sent and received.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess by now I should plan on sending another book. I wish I had just put stamps on it LOL. I didn't know those metered stickers were only good from the post office you buy them at. I wonder where it ended up. Anyway, you said to let you know before I try again, so any advice? Thanks- Brent

posted Hide Post
Last May I sent a letter to Mr. B and I have heard nothing back as yet. I mailed it to an L.A. address.
Any thoughts?

Gnosses

"Original Thoughts" are like a like a virus that cannot be restrained.

Posts: 1 | Location: RSM, CA | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Mr B doesn't get back you, you shouldn't take it personally or worry too much. He's a busy man, who receives tons of mail - and he's getting on in years.

(How many 90 year olds do you know? How many of them could cope with writing even one letter a day?)

There have been plenty of success stories on here from people who have had personal responses from Ray, so writing to him seems to work more often than not. If you get a reply, consider it a bonus!

(For the record, I have written to Ray exactly twice, and only once received a reply.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the past 43 three years, from when I first met Ray in February of 1967, I have received numerous letters, cards, and other greetings from Ray. I am not sure just how many of my books he has signed, but quite a few as I always sent a return envelope with the appropriate postage so that he could just slip the signed book into the envelope (or in later years, Priority Mail package) seal it and have it picked up with the scads of other out-going mail he would have daily for the post person.

And, yes, I would agree with Phil, as he has gotten older, it must be more difficult for him to do this, but I believe that he still answers mail everyday that he can.

I still have some of his later books that I would love for him to sign, but hesitate to do so for the reasons just mentioned. Someone jokingly said one time that the more valuable Ray Bradbury book will be the one that is unsigned.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
...seal it and have it picked up with the scads of other out-going mail he would have daily for the post person.

Or as I call her, the femail.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas, you're not being sexist now are you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Douglas, you're not being sexist now are you?

Absolutely! I much prefer the female gender!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking about trying to send another copy of F451 and see if I get it back signed this time. Any advice? what address should I use?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrentMc:
I was just thinking about trying to send another copy of F451 and see if I get it back signed this time. Any advice? what address should I use?

Don't. He's not signing right now. Best bet: eBay.

"Live Forever!"