Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I'm looking for a book similar to martian chronicles

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking for a book similar to martian chronicles
 Login/Join

posted
I have to write a research paper for my english class and my theme is colonization of a new frontier. Does anyone know good classical sci-fi books(not necessarily by bradbury) that fits that theme?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I haven't read Asimov's Foundation Trilogy and didn't get through Frank Herbert's Dune either. (There, I said it.)

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen Steele wrote a great colonization novel a couple of years ago titled COYOTE. I don't know if it's out in paperback yet.

Robert A. Heinlein did it several times, most notably in TUNNEL IN THE SKY.

Anne McCaffrey tells the story of how her beloved planet Pern was colonized in THE CHRONICLES OF PERN:First Fall. This one is actually short stories similar to THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES format, rather than the traditional novel form.

Poul Anderson was perhaps even more prolific than Heinlein in the colonization sub-genre. His NEW AMERICA is good, but TAU ZERO may be the best of it's kind ever written.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 05-07-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's trilogy dealing with the colonization of Mars: RED MARS, GREEN MARS and BLUE MARS.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot. Do you guys also know any secondary sources, like articles that are based on this theme?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not me. Maybe the people at asimovs.com or abebooks.com can help you with that one. Good luck.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a book i read in a G/T english class in 3rd grade. its sort of kid-ish, and they banned it from schools shortly after i read it, and i forget the author, but it was called "The Green Book." It was alot like MC.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jill Paton Walsh. The Green Book. 1981, Macmillan; Farrar Straus & Giroux; re-issued as Shine. (3rd edition) Macdonald, 1988.