Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The ethics of collecting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ethics of collecting
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
THE MAMMOUTH BOOK OF HAUNTED HOUSE STORIES, which contains "Haunted House", was published in the U.S. by Carroll and Graf, and should be readily available from a variety of sources that sell new books. Incidentally, "Haunted House" is not a short story, but a poem. It is also a collaborative effort by Ray and Donn Albright's daughter, Elizabeth, when she was quite young. And, I might add, it is very good!

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Loved the Ellison tirade.

Harlan is nothing if not entertaining!
Yes, he is entertaining on many levels!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing small trades for rare material is fine my opinion. As long there is no money invovled then it's ok. It's probably a bigger problem to sell a magazine with a rare story in it for alot $$$ because the author isn't making money from that only the seller is. When you trade it's just for the pleasure of reading the material. But if you're downloading mass produced novels then that is wrong.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nt07077:
Doing small trades for rare material is fine my opinion. As long there is no money invovled then it's ok. It's probably a bigger problem to sell a magazine with a rare story in it for alot $$$ because the author isn't making money from that only the seller is. When you trade it's just for the pleasure of reading the material. But if you're downloading mass produced novels then that is wrong.

agreed! I have received a few more items since my last post. I will post an update!

Just in case there are others who might be interested in trades.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
THE MAMMOUTH BOOK OF HAUNTED HOUSE STORIES, which contains "Haunted House", was published in the U.S. by Carroll and Graf, and should be readily available from a variety of sources that sell new books. Incidentally, "Haunted House" is not a short story, but a poem. It is also a collaborative effort by Ray and Donn Albright's daughter, Elizabeth, when she was quite young. And, I might add, it is very good!

I received a copy of this book earlier this week and was surprised to to see a poem! But a good poem to be sure...

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it seems I’m in the minority here, but I have no problem with selling rare works. The reason being the author was paid a sum of money for his story to be used in a said magazine. There is no reason for the author to expect more money than was agreed on, so if the magazine sold for cost or someone 20 years later sold it for $100, it makes no difference to the author. The same goes for books, if the print run is 2000 copies, then that’s what the author gets paid for. Now if copies of Gauntlet’s Something Wicked This Way Comes, for example sells for $500, so what, the author has already been paid for his contract. He should not expect more money, just because a book dealer made some money off his work.

Now if we are talking about photocopying material and selling it, then that’s illegal, because this would be something new, similar in vein to a new edition of the work, and the author has not been paid for this new edition of his work.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gguthrie:
Well it seems I’m in the minority here, but I have no problem with selling rare works. The reason being the author was paid a sum of money for his story to be used in a said magazine. There is no reason for the author to expect more money than was agreed on, so if the magazine sold for cost or someone 20 years later sold it for $100, it makes no difference to the author. The same goes for books, if the print run is 2000 copies, then that’s what the author gets paid for. Now if copies of Gauntlet’s Something Wicked This Way Comes, for example sells for $500, so what, the author has already been paid for his contract. He should not expect more money, just because a book dealer made some money off his work.

Now if we are talking about photocopying material and selling it, then that’s illegal, because this would be something new, similar in vein to a new edition of the work, and the author has not been paid for this new edition of his work.

i actually agree with you. my original thoughts were based on trading photocopied rarities. not selling...

if i were to trade photocopied uncommon uncollected stories for other photocopied uncommon uncollected stories... i think that would be fine. as long as i am not making a profit in any way. the obscurity of the story itself is what makes it valuable. not the rarity of the original item.

posted Hide Post
I am resurrecting an old post. A lot has changed since 2008. I have completed 2 book collections of "unpublished" stories and am working on the 3rd. I will create a new post about that!

Regarding the "ethics of collecting" It remains unclear if this is a moral, ethical, or legal issue. Many of these stories I have collected remain difficult to find. There is a good chance these stories will continue to be a challenge for Bradbury fans to find and read.

I have struggled with the thought of posting them online (perhaps here, where fans and scholars congregate)... but I am not sure.

What a surprise it would be to find a rare Bradbury story online! What a treat! I can only assume others would feel the same way.

The again, perhaps there are only a handful left who would even care.

My collector and completest spirit drives me onward... my love for Bradbury gives me desire to find and read everything!

I want to share with those who feel the same way I do... but are my hands tied? What would Ray have thought??? Part of me believes he is looking down at us right now and wondering why all his stories are not available to everyone for free.

Posts: 18 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't contributed to this forum in a long time, so I hope this works.

In regards to your search for rare works. A week or so ago I came across a digital book of Bradbury stories on Amazon. You might find it of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...rect=true&pldnSite=1

Posts: 9 | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post