Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    DArk Carnival
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DArk Carnival
 Login/Join

posted
There is a site that writes about Dark Carnival, and is as well devoted to it.
That site is called www.PurgatoryISOdd.com - I just wish you guys to visit that site and come back here and give some feedback what you think off the site. Thank you.

Posts: 33 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah!
They not only make you feel the entire education system has failed...along with the library system as well....but make the hairs on the back of your head crawl...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And? Your conclusion is? That you didn't understand the page?

Posts: 33 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I could surmise, this has nothing to do with Ray Bradbury's earliest collected stories. I really didn't waste much time looking either, I might add. The language and topics were going less than nowhere!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the effort was okay, but a web page is not the same as IM'ing. For a web page, there should be better grammer, less crudity ("F" word is not really an academic tool), and better linear reasoning.

When I went to the site, I expected some kind of interaction with BRADBURY's "Dark Carnival" as opposed to a kind of mystical thing that appeared to be going on with the site. That isn't to say that a web page can't/shouldn't be fun; but that standards are higher for something that claims to be "about" something as significant as Bradbury's "Dark Carnival".

If the idea of the page is to deal with some vague mystical "Dark Carnival" it should stand on it's own two feet and not involve Bradbury.

So, to me, the purpose/intent of the site was not coherent. But, an interesting effort. I think you need to define which you're doing though, and then follow up on one or the other.

You never know where creativity is going to go. That is the risk inherent in the creative process.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 01-13-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OleManiaC

No! My conclusion is that you didn''t understand my posting....Read it again!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no intent to read again. I have intent to know your conclusion in your own words.

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine this site is very accessible (understandable) by anyone not already "in the know". From what I could glean, it appears Dark Carnival is

a) a musical group of some kind
b) a philosophy, religion, or "movement"
c) an organization, club, or cult
d) all of the above

The only reference to Bradbury I could find on the site was an almost comical debate over whether Bradbury's Dark Carnival was ripped off (couldn't be!) or if he was "inspired" by the same Dark Carnival "spirits" years earlier (yes, much more likely).

It appears that the discovery of a book with the title Dark Carnival caused quite a stir, especially among those who can't or won't read.

A final note: I was going to chide Mr. Dark for acting too much like a school teacher, but after seeing the site...I'm with him. Assuming you want to communicate with anyone outside your own little circle, things like grammar and linear logic count.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peremptorily Un-chided . . . wow! That's never happened before! Cooool.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to mention, there is a musical group who raps about Dark Carnival. I believe they have been inspired by Rad Bradbury some way or the other?

posted Hide Post
Oh...'Rad' Bradbury... I get that!

posted Hide Post
Oh, are you dissing me because of my dysletica? Of course, to correct myself, it was Ray Bradbury, not Rad. I was certainly not talking about Radiation.

posted Hide Post
OleManiaC::

Gee... I definitely must be getting old ! Rad ... used to be a word denoting 'cool" (maybe they don''t use it like that anymore) ...or "radical"... like something is really 'far out', in a good sense.... Hmm... maybe that's a goner, too.

I've been around youngsters lately who never saw an LP... can't tell time by dial clocks, thought electric lights always existed, and etc. But the 10 year old knows how to put together a professional Web Site....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-16-2003).]

posted Hide Post
I always preferred "awesome" to "radical" and there was a month or so I tried to get used to "tubular" but it never took.

PS you can't spell bRADbury without rad!

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 01-16-2003).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To quote Nard Kordell:

"Gee... I definitely must be getting old ! Rad ... used to be a word denoting 'cool" (maybe they don''t use it like that anymore) ...or "radical"... like something is really 'far out', in a good sense.... Hmm... maybe that's a goner, too"

Okay, so you are getting old, eh?
Well, if Rad is a word denoting cool, your conclusion is? That I meant Cool Bradbury?
I didn't say he was radical, even if he was!
Or even far out. If it is a goner, in your own good sense decide it yourself.

"I've been around youngsters lately who never saw an LP... can't tell time by dial clocks, thought electric lights always existed, and etc. But the 10 year old knows how to put together a professional Web Site...."

Okay, maybe you HAVE been around youngsters lately who never saw an LP... can't tell time by dial clocks, thought electric lights always existed, and etc. But those who say that a 10 years old knows how to put a professional web site togheter have never really seen a web-page made by a 10 year old child. Can you mention me some links to site who are made by 10 year old childs, with professional design and/or content? Please share. Or do you proclaim that Purgatory Is Odd is badly designed? I think not.