Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I'M BACK
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'M BACK
 Login/Join

posted
HELLO ALL,

HOPE ALL IS WELL!

ON FEB. 1ST I SOLD MY LIMO COMPANY, AND TOOK THE WHOLE MONTH OFF. AND AS OF TODAY MARCH 1ST, I'LL BE AT THE MAN'S, M-F DOING DAY TO DAY HOME/OFFICE WORK.

MR B'S DOING JUST GREAT,
I JUST NEEDED, TO GO BACK TO A 40 HOUR WORK WEEK, AFTER 20 PLUS YEARS OF 24/7, MY FAMILY AND I HAVE NEVER TAKEN A WEEKS VACATION. IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT, MR B'S DOING JUST GREAT!!

I'LL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ON UPCOMING EVENTS.

TAKE CARE
PATRICK

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick! Welcome back!
I hope you and your family had a wonderful, restful, and bonding vacation!
In retrospect, I regret not having vacationed more with my family. I know I worked too much trying to make ends meet, but now I can honestly say that in less than 30 years, I've worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty!
All the best to you and dear Mr. B.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in our family business, 24/7's were simply the way it was. Today, my wife often gets on me for not slowing down even when "downtime" is available. My parents labored through the depression. My dad running a produce and truck farm, my mom a seamstress. There were no excuses nor handouts for their families. They made ends meet by growing their own food, making their own clothes, and bartering as best they could for all of the extras when necessary. Then the sacrifices of the entire country with WWII, et al. (Those stories told around the dinner table are still well-remembered!)

I worked in their footsteps from age 5 to 18. It left an indelible mark on all of my being to this day. Maybe that is what is missing in today's society - more indelible marks!

I have often considered this as the driving force with Mr. B. His bio tells us of his family's struggles and his own, as well, in a profession that gave little consideration to "up and coming" writers. It is the only pace at which he knows to function.

So, as Patrick has indicated, sitting around and waiting for something to happen is not an acceptable modus operandi. Great to hear Mr. Bradbury is doing so well.

As always, thanks to FH 451 for his first hand accounts and timely visits and, of course, irreplaceable kindness to Mr. B - how magnificent is that!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick, it sounds as if you're going back to work with Ray? That's great! Best to you and him!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just talked with Ray and he sounds so good. With Patrick being there I thought maybe he would answer the phone, but no, it is Ray himself.

I had sent Ray some photos depicting the planets and their relative size to each other and he really seemed to appreciate it.

He said that he and Alexandra and working on a couple of projects and that he just wrote a new short story yesterday. I told him that we, his fans, are like kids in a toy store, anxiously awaiting his next collection. I mentioned, too, how much I enjoyed "The Cat's Pajamas" and he said that he was very happy how that book was received.

As fans, we have a lot to be thankful for in that Ray's health is good and he is surrounded by people who love and care for him.

Patrick, do keep us abreast as to what's happening with Ray. We really appreciate it and I know that you will looking forward to spending much more time with your family.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Biplane,

Thats great news for sure! It got down to a chilly 70 here in Louisville today. I went outside and read a few minutes after dinner and it was wonderfully warm. I heard and saw a huge flock of Great Blue Herons heading north in a v-pattern. Migrations have already started and spring is just around the corner. October will be here in the blink of an eye so I know I can wait for the new tome to arrive, nothing else to do but smile, smile, smile!

Oh Biplane, where is Sunrise? My parents have a place in Destin and Punta Gorda, just curious. Also if you wouldn't mind, next time you speak with Ray, could you ask him if he hung my art-mobile up. Thanks, BP. Thank you too Patrick for taking good care of that boy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln, yes I will definately ask Ray about the mobile.

Sunrise is on the east coast just west of Ft. Lauderdale. We are two miles from the Everglades and 12 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and we love it here despite Wilma and our daughter living with us since October 27th.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My stepmother lives in Sarasota. Too flat for this mountain man. Did you see the photo of Wilma I posted awhile back?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Lincoln:
...It got down to a chilly 70 here in Louisville today. I went outside and read a few minutes after dinner and it was wonderfully warm...

Ah, such luxury! Here in middle England, it's just dipped below freezing again. Last night's snow, melting during daylight, is now re-freezing. Brrrr!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....life as usual and greetings from Canada to Mr. Bradbury as his words are now past on to yet another generation as my son is reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes" to start off. Ray's inspiration has given me the energy to write short stories and now I am looking for a literary agent. It is truly amazing how one man can influence so many. Great words - Great health Mr. Bradbury. Keep your stick on the ice!
Peter James Billing

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Peter James Billings. And yes, Braling II I did see your posting of Wilma. Unfortunately it has been no laughing matter down here. Many roofs have blue tarps on them awaiting repair and June 1st is the start of the 2006 Hurricane Season. Hopefully, we in the Ft. Lauderdale area, won't take such a direct hit as we did with Wilma.

Ah yes, the weather and why we live here in Florida. It was a cool 55 dregrees to sleep with the windows open and it got up to 81 today, great for the beach, but I had to work.

posted Hide Post
Thanks alot Biplane. We spend our time on the west coast. Florida is a beautiful and interesting state. Good luck with the situation with your daughter. Being a parent is hard work even if the children are grown.
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Robot Lincoln, yes I will definately ask Ray about the mobile.

Sunrise is on the east coast just west of Ft. Lauderdale. We are two miles from the Everglades and 12 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and we love it here despite Wilma and our daughter living with us since October 27th.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just warm enough here to begin cautiously venturing outside.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane,
I hope you know I don't mean to make light of your adversity. I just couldn't resist that photo!
Here, we suffer floods, mudslides, and are within a few miles of epicenter of the '89 quake; and so are no strangers to natural disaster. I do have some (what weren't then but are now humourous) anecdotes resulting from these things, especially the flood of '82...

posted Hide Post
Hello All!
Finally back in the Los Angeles area. Bradbury will be speaking at a couple places in the next week or so, and know I can catch his talk on the 13th of this month. Will post what I can after the event, photos, etc.

(Actually, I can't believe I am rreaaally back here!)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post