Ray Bradbury Forums
dandelion wine. wuts up?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6211096901

27 March 2003, 12:14 PM
mon411
dandelion wine. wuts up?
i am a student. i am doing a topic about how dandelion wine is an autobiography on ray bradbury's own childhood. anybody got any ideas that could help me???
27 March 2003, 03:36 PM
Mr. Dark
What grade level is this for? What research have you done so far? Has your teacher/instructor/professor offered any beginning direction?

In his introduction to the recent hardcover printing of Dandelion Wine, Bradbury talks clearly about how this book came to be and that it is a reflection of memories of his own life. The introduction is called, "Just This Side of Byzantium: An Introduction".

"Dandelion Wine". Ray Bradbury. William Morrow, NY. 2001.

This essay/editorial is repeated in Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing". Joshua Odell Editions, Santa Barbara. 1996.

This should help you get started.
27 March 2003, 10:51 PM
mon411
much appreciated. I am in a grade 10 english challenge class. I have to do approximately a 15 minute presentation of how it is an autobiography of his own life. so far I have found that douglas spalding's name comes from ray's middle name (douglas) and his father's middle name (spalding). I also know that bradbury grew up in Wikanawa or something like that. I also know that he was heavily influenced by the carnivals and his imagination was affected with a lot of "magical" stuff. So far that's what I have. Some other stuff as well. I'm not sure what I can talk about for 15 minutes though. thanks for your help.
28 March 2003, 01:51 AM
Mr. Dark
Do you, or does your school library, have access to:

Bradbury, An Illustrated Life: A Journey to Far Metaphor. by Jerry Weist.William Morrow, NY. 2002

This may be helpful.
29 March 2003, 03:56 PM
mon411
I'll have to check, thanks for your help. I should be able to make a better presentation now.
31 March 2003, 04:44 PM
mon411
i looked up the book in my library but i do not have it. thanks anyways.