Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury and Chesterton?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury and Chesterton?
 Login/Join

posted
Everybody knows of the obvious links and inspiration Ray Bradbury draws on throughout his stories - the likes of Melville, Poe, Bierce, etc, etc. I was wondering, however, if he has ever found such inspiration in the works of G.K. Chesterton.
The writing styles are very different, but there is a parallel of themes, particularly centering around the joy of living life itself(See Manalive and The Man who was Thursday). There is a certain darkness in Chesterton's writing as well, which is usually resolved at the end.
If Bradbury was never inspired by Chesterton, it would be interesting to compare the two authors' similarities and differences.
Any feedback?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I asked him if he was influenced by H. H. Munro "Saki," and he said no, it was "all John Collier," so John Collier seems to be a big influence he has not mentioned much.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the Chesterton connection.
Bradbury's stories about other writers are fascinating. I recently re-read 'The Kilimanjaro Device'; Bradbury brilliantly imitates Hemingway's rhythm and style, while offering an affectionate homage to the man himself. Another favourite in this mini-genre is the touching and evocative story about Thomas Wolfe, 'Forever and the Earth'.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Forever and the Earth" is a HUGE favorite! Anyone here who lives anywhere near Thomas Wolfe's grave, (pictured at [URL=http://www.findagrave.com)]www.findagrave.com)[/URL] please speak up! I'm currently rereading "The Exiles," too.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess Chesterton was worth a shot. It's something I've wondered about for a while, anyway.
It's interesting that Chesterton was inspired by Conan Doyle. Writing is a profession and an art that feeds on itself!
I have to agree, "The Kilimanjaro Device" is definitely a classic. I can't think of a better homage from one author to another.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post