Ray Bradbury Forums
Bradbury and Chesterton?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6191085901

06 April 2002, 11:01 AM
Halloway
Bradbury and Chesterton?
Everybody knows of the obvious links and inspiration Ray Bradbury draws on throughout his stories - the likes of Melville, Poe, Bierce, etc, etc. I was wondering, however, if he has ever found such inspiration in the works of G.K. Chesterton.
The writing styles are very different, but there is a parallel of themes, particularly centering around the joy of living life itself(See Manalive and The Man who was Thursday). There is a certain darkness in Chesterton's writing as well, which is usually resolved at the end.
If Bradbury was never inspired by Chesterton, it would be interesting to compare the two authors' similarities and differences.
Any feedback?
06 April 2002, 03:39 PM
dandelion
Once I asked him if he was influenced by H. H. Munro "Saki," and he said no, it was "all John Collier," so John Collier seems to be a big influence he has not mentioned much.
06 April 2002, 07:52 PM
crumley
I'm not sure about the Chesterton connection.
Bradbury's stories about other writers are fascinating. I recently re-read 'The Kilimanjaro Device'; Bradbury brilliantly imitates Hemingway's rhythm and style, while offering an affectionate homage to the man himself. Another favourite in this mini-genre is the touching and evocative story about Thomas Wolfe, 'Forever and the Earth'.
07 April 2002, 05:20 AM
dandelion
"Forever and the Earth" is a HUGE favorite! Anyone here who lives anywhere near Thomas Wolfe's grave, (pictured at [URL=http://www.findagrave.com)]www.findagrave.com)[/URL] please speak up! I'm currently rereading "The Exiles," too.
10 April 2002, 04:37 PM
Halloway
I guess Chesterton was worth a shot. It's something I've wondered about for a while, anyway.
It's interesting that Chesterton was inspired by Conan Doyle. Writing is a profession and an art that feeds on itself!
I have to agree, "The Kilimanjaro Device" is definitely a classic. I can't think of a better homage from one author to another.