Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Something Wicked This Way Comes Stage Play
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something Wicked This Way Comes Stage Play
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have the radio play version of SWTWC's by Colonial Radio Theatre. It's really amazing, and based on the stage play. So for those of us in the US who can't go to Scotland, it will fill the void!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure logistics and fine prints would make this a challenge of great proportions, but, as I have commented previously, Circus du Solel would be a fanastic match for interpreting Something Wicked for a live huge stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0x6KGTBcek&feature=related

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Did you ever cross the border to see this production?

Och no, laddie!

I have tickets for the show when it comes south of the border in a few weeks time.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
I am sure logistics and fine prints would make this a challenge of great proportions, but, as I have commented previously, Circus du Solel would be a fanastic match for interpreting Something Wicked for a live huge stage

I quite agree, and I love Cirque du Soleil. However, they seem to prefer to make up their own scenarios! But then again, someone must have persuaded them to do that Beatles-themed show, so maybe someone could persuade them to try Bradbury.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Och no, laddie!

I think you're just afraid of Scotland!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite, it was just the decision of driving for two hours or six hours to get to the play.

Anyhoo, here's another review of the play:
http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/21971/some...icked-this-way-comes

(I know it must be very dull to see so many links to reviews of a play you've never seen or will never see, but we might as well use this Board to document every little thing that happens related to RB!)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not quite, it was just the decision of driving for two hours or six hours to get to the play.

You're only six hours away and you've never been!?

quote:
I know it must be very dull to see so many links to reviews of a play you've never seen or will never see, but we might as well use this Board to document every little thing that happens related to RB!

I guess it's as good a use as arguing about (I mean discussing) religion!

Anyhoo is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello!

I thought some of you might be interested in the interview I did with Mister Bradbury a few weeks ago for the National Theatre of Scotland. This is now online to read and to listen to as an MP3:

http://www.nationaltheatrescotland.com/content/default.asp?page=s452

Enjoy!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colin, what a great interview with Mr. Bradbury! I had just finished Dandelion Wine with freshmen classes (HS 9). It was a timely unit, as summer had just ended and school had just began. Then, as a supplement to the author's themes (of which he speaks in the article via the National Theatre of Scotland), we viewed and discussed Something Wicked This Way Comes.

With DW the students read and wrote about Doug and Tom's image filled summer of 1928. Then, they were drawn into that hauntingly, powerful autumn faced by Will and Jim. Green Town, Illinois, at its finest: Life, death, love, fear, hope, loss, humor, sadness, blue-skied morns, storm-filled eves, salvaging memories, discarding keepsakes, friends, foes, dreams, nighmares, flowers blooming, leaves blowing away.

Mr. Bradbury's Zen-like writings are timeless. They (still) captivate this long time teacher, as well as his youthful teenage students. My pleasure...Indeed!

(As I look out my third floor classroom window, two huge maple trees, reaching beyond the roof, are in their fullest autumn attire. I think of Mr. B as the sun shines on their vibrant colors. This is his finest season. Yes, at 88yrs. young, this his finest season!)

Thanks for the link, Colin. I have printed it out and will share with the kids tomorrow.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The National Theatre of Scotland are putting a lot of resources into this play. I'm amazed at the amount of material on their website - video clips, interviews, even a trailer!

They are also collecting reviews on their site, but just in case they miss any I will continue posting any that I find.

Speaking of which, The Times (London) isn't quite so positive about the whole affair - although I note something of an emerging consensus that the second act is better than the first:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_ent...e/article4900710.ece

- Phil

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...You're only six hours away and you've never been!?...[QUOTE]

If I can't get there and back in a day, I'd have to stay overnight. Which costs money. Which is not as plentiful as one might wish!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
@ Doug Spaulding - amazing! Glad you enjoyed the interview.

@ fjp451 - Thankyou. Delighted that our resources are useful to so many people.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I can't get there and back in a day, I'd have to stay overnight. Which costs money. Which is not as plentiful as one might wish!

Alrighty then - I won't taunt you about it anymore.

I understand. I can't afford to go on mini-holiday to Northern California right now either!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Tonight, in the green room before the show, I pulls out my iPhone and says to Mr B, "listen to this." He listened. I opened the YouTube of the Victrola playing Beautiful Ohio and handed it to him.

He took the phone, immediately recognised the tune, and shouted out "oh my god - you're wonderful" (meaning I was wonderful for playing him this song, not that I was wonderful in essence), and the room watched as nostalgia poured from his eyes as he no doubt recollected the carousel at twelve years of age.

That iPhone was worth every penny!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I saw the UK stage play of Something Wicked yesterday, and was quite impressed. I'd been primed by the reviews to expect a play that was over-the-top in act one, but more seriously dramatic in act two... and that's exactly the case.

I was impressed by the staging, which was incredibly elaborate, given that the set is so small. The music was superb, a fantastic mix of pre-recorded score, live piano ,live cello and live harmonium, and some spooky "vocalisations" from the keyboard player.

Most amusing section: the carousel. Created, if you can imagine this, by having two actors walk on stage wearing horses' heads and tails, who then walk (dance?) in circles around whoever is riding the carousel. Backed with video projection of more such horses. Sounds bizarre, but it worked nicely. Mr Electrico was fun, too.

The show was a credit to all concerned. However, what I saw was nothing like what I imagine when I read Bradbury. That's not a criticism, it's just an observation on the remarkable leeway there can be in adapting from one medium to another.

(Oh, and the 96-minute drive to Manchester - the southern-most point on ths play's tour of these islands - took 150 minutes. And Spaulding wonders why I didn't want to see the play in Scotland...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil