Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A note on Farewell Summer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A note on Farewell Summer
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Sweet words to my eyes, "Your order has been shipped". Considering I ordered this in March, it is with great anticipation that I get to hold it in my hands and read it! Suffice it to say, I will drop all other books that I have been bipping through. teehee

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TK, I saw the info about the "Submit a Question to Ray Bradbury" contest on the HarperCollins site, but I still can't figure out how to get the first 5 chapters of Farewell Summer. I'm on the Bradbury mailing list...

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I still can't figure out how to get the first 5 chapters of Farewell Summer. I'm on the Bradbury mailing list...

Nor can I, but it's here now - and I'd rather read it on paper, truth be told.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug, greentown06, and Robot. Thanks so much for your posts of anticipation about FAREWELL SUMMER!

I have to say, greentown 06, I agree with Doug: you can now read the whole thing on paper, and have his gorgeous hardcover edition for your bookshelves.

Lastly, I just wanted to remind you all that we are taking questions for Ray about FAREWELL SUMMER via the blog www.outofthiseos.com. The ten best questions will have the answers posted on the blog, and will receive a signed copy of FAREWELL SUMMER. Submit your Q's soon, and often!

Posts: 25 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading Farewell Summer. It murmured wonderfully to me deep in my soul! In other words, it was damn good! I finished it while soaking in the tub getting ready for a morning eye exam. I have to get, dare I say it, bifocals. My friend says that next I'll be getting him a pair too. Do yourself a huge favor and buy the book, read it, and then rubberband it to Dandelion Wine. Next time, read 'em both together.

p.s. I miss that old tangerine trolley with its soft lemon seats and yellow numbers and letters with a whimsical conductor steering it through a sea of green out in the meadow country...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What were your thoughts about Calvin Quartermain's "friend." I found this a bit surprising as well as the comment about Doug's new "friend" as well.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Biplane, I hope your doing well. When you first posted that about the "friend" after you read the book, I correctly guessed in my mind what you meant. I think what he, Ray, was trying to say by using that simile was a form of passing the torch. There was so many hidden symbols throughout both books (isn't there always?)that I think it has several different meanings. Along with passing the torch, it could mean from Doug's standpoint that you can't delay the inevitable, in this case his growing up, from Quartermain's standpoint, don't forget or lose the kid within. Kinda surprised the hell out of both of them didn't it?

posted Hide Post
Hello friends, I need your help! I can't find the page on which Bleak accuses Quartermain of cutting himself off from life because he never married and had children. Can anyone tell me on which page in FAREWELL SUMMER this scene is?

Thanks so much!

Posts: 25 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post