Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UNauthorised biography
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNauthorised biography
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Very well done, Doug Spaulding. It must have been an eventful, exciting, and productive day.
This documentary is going to be really something.

Do you believe that something like you have in mind upon completion, could be sold to one of the TV Networks as a Special, or is that fact that Forest may not be as well known as some others be a factor in there not being interest?

It was Michael, it was.

I hope the doc comes up to expectations, and I appreciate everyone's interest and support.

My best two options, as I have been advised by a friend in The Business, are a possible sell to the Sci-Fi Channel, or a DVD distribution deal. A screenwriter friend of mine is going to push it at a producer who is currently working on a project for the Karloff estate, so we'll see how that goes.

You're right to say that Forry is not as well known (to the general public) as he deserves, but we can take solace in the fact that in the horror/sci-fi/fantasy community (especially around LA) he is a demi-god.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Thanks for the great info, Doug!

You're entirely welcome, Cornelia!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Ah, Doug, splendid answers! If you were able to elicit this kind of information when the tape wasn't running, I fully expect the recorded interviews in your docu to be well worth watching!

If, by some weird circumstance, you were able to come into possession of a copy of Icarus Montgolfier Wright and, in some fashion, I were able to tease a copy of that copy...please let me know...

To bring this thread back to the UNauthorised biography of Ray Bradbury, I have now received my copy of said book. So far, I have only skimmed it, but I have noticed that it contains a chapter on George Clayton Johnson; indeed, the very same anecdote about how Icarus came into being as a movie. However, the author ends the chapter with a little note to say that Johnson fell out with Bradbury after "Nothing in the Dark". (This note is problematic for two reasons: first, it contradicts what Doug Spaulding has found out for us; second, it assumes that "Nothing in the Dark" FOLLOWED Icarus Monfgolfier Wright, whereas I believe it preceded it.)

The unauthorised biography has other things in it that trouble me. There is poor attention to details, with people's names being spelled wrongly and inconsistently (something I believe is due to its 'vanity publishing' origins, which I mentioned earlier in this thread).

There is also repetition of the claims that Bradbury has written nothing of merit since the 1950s - this is implied or directly stated in interviews with GCJ and Harlan Ellison. Now clearly this is a matter of opinion, but in both cases the author is using interviews FROM THE 1980s as his source. Which means Ray's great 'comeback' Death is a Lonely Business is ignored, along with its sequels; so is Green Shadow, White Whale... short stories such as 'The Toynbee Convector'...

The book also has the most appalling bibliography I've seen in a long time. Apparently, The Martian Chronicles was a film by Francois Truffaut.

There ARE some things of merit in the book, and even some of the dated material is interesting, but Beley's book comes nowhere near Sam Weller's for accuracy or thoroughness.

1. Actually, it has been my experience that you almost always get the best stuff after the camera cuts off (I've got to watch that in future!). It was true at RB's and it was true with GCJ.

2. If I see "Icarus", you'll see "Icarus" - least I can do for my man in England (who's going to do the RH thing for me!).

3. I had thought about getting the unauthorised biography, but after your "glowing" review, I might rethink that. I was keen on seeing the Johnson chapter myself, but I can get the info from the man himself, so I don't know. They came out at very close intervals: "NITD" was broadcast during the 1961 season, and "IMW" was filmed in 1962.

4. Everything RB writes is of merit!

5. I've always enjoyed Truffaut's version of "The Martian Chronicles".

6. Weller's book was marvellous! I bought it last June at Chevalier's Books in Los Angeles of a Saturday afternoon, where Mr B did a signing that very day, brought it home that night and devoured it (well, not all in one night, but I at least commenced the feast!).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Oh....the heck with the 'unauthorized' bio of Ray. Just settle for the Weller version. Everyone knows he spent a LOT of time with Ray and did his research thoroughly. Look at Weller's credentials, as well...

It's a no-brainer. Razzer

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Truffaut was originally going to film MC rather than F451, but I don't think Beley would know that.

Doug, I stand corrected on the dates of the TZ episode and Icarus - they were much closer in time than I remembered, so Beley's comments are more plausible (but still contradicted by GCJ's recollections).

Well said, Mr Blevins!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
If, by some weird circumstance, you were able to come into possession of a copy of Icarus Montgolfier Wright and, in some fashion, I were able to tease a copy of that copy...please let me know...

Do you prefer DVD-R or DVD+R?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Gene Beley tells me he has made corrections to his Unauthorized Biography, based on the flaws I pointed out in my review. One of the benefits of 'print-on-demand' publishing is that the corrections can be made painlessly, without having to wait for a new print run.

So, although I have been critical of Mr Beley's book, I have to give him praise for spending his own money to get the book put right.

You can see the exchange of comments between Gene and myself on my website - direct link here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, philnic! Thanx for the 411 on that Serling book. Not sure how much weight I'll put into it, but I'm sure I'll look for it as a casual read. Thanx for your efforts!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So there's an unauthorized print on demand Serling biography? Details, please.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
So there's an unauthorized print on demand Serling biography? Details, please.

No, you're getting two things mixed up! This thread is mainly about Gene Beley's POD unauthorized biog of RB. Earlier in the thread we also discussed Bonk Johnston's forthcoming book (a "proper" book) on Serling.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Oh, all right. The Johnston book, I am actually looking forward to.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post