Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Requesting Opinions on Inspiration versus Writing on Demand

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting Opinions on Inspiration versus Writing on Demand
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,

Though this post is not specifically related to Ray Bradbury, I am hoping to get responses from writers on the following topic. I am doing a paper for a college class, and would sure appreciate and value your imput. Thanks.

I would like your views on writing from inspiration versus writing on demand. That is, do you think a writer can only produce quality work if he/she is writing from inspiration? Or do you think quality writing can be produced on demand?

Also, any suggestions of books, magazine articles, etc, on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

I am doing a paper for a college class

Though this is not specifically related to Ray Bradbury

Posts: 1 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any number of classic writers produced quality work under incredible pressures and demands. Bradbury has said he never writes on assignment, but he has never lacked for inspiration.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many musicians worked under stressful money demands. Many artists have worked under the same demand of making a few bucks to pay the bills. And, many artists cannot work that way. Many are not business/marketing smart. Many are. Of the two fellows credited for creating Spider-Man, one was street smart in the business world and made a fortune from Spider-man, the other sold his rights when he first created Spider-man and has not seen a dime from all the hoopla.

My suggestion is to go thru a short biography of famous men and women in the arts, and see how they ticked.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, not everyone has to be the same, but can still contribute works of value.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This says it all, I think:

"Superman's Song" - by Crash Test Dummies

------------------------------------

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man
He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm
Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle
But Clark Kent, now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy