Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
 Login/Join

posted
hallo,

i just read fahrenheit 451 in class. Everyone knows it was banned. but why?

Why was fahrenheit 451 banned?

it doesn't seem to offend me.

jerry
thanks

Fahrenheit 451

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this 'urban legend' or what?

Banned where?
Every major book store in America sells the book.And a whole lot of little ones. It's in its ''50th Year'' of publication. Dozens and dozens of different editions, worldwide.

Where did you get this info? If some numbskull in a school district out in no man's land decides to ban the book because he's had a bad month, doesn't mean 'diddly-squat'.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very good question. Has it ever been banned? I would find it hard to believe that anyone would feel that it was so troubling to be banned anywhere.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, a more troubling question is; who is this "everyone" who "knows" it was banned?
This is probably a classroom legend rather than an urban one.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm

Check out this list of the 100 most frequently banned books. I am stunned by some of the ones on this list!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting list. "Where's Waldo"???? Was there a risque version I missed?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was censored in some printings, and, as the list above attests, almost anything can be banned someplace or other. Being removed from a library or two here and there does not make the banning widespread.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where's Waldo was banned because on one page, a beach scene, there is a topless woman in the picture.

Posts: 4 | Location: manchester,ct,usa | Registered: 01 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, I would have thought Portnoy's Complaint and even Catcher in the Rye might have made this list. Lady Chatterly's Lover maybe? etc. I guess this is a good list to aspire to if you are a writer. Some very good titles are on it. I am sure those who have not read the books on this list are much better off for that.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 03-07-2005).]

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On another thread I mentioned this to Ray and he said that he was not aware of it being banned anywhere. And why would it be anyway?

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my high school days, I had to sneak read: "The Godfather", "Lady Chatterley's Lover" and "The Catcher in the Rye".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that F451 had some things censored from it (ironically) but i havent heard about any bans, it was probly some school or something that banned it. Some schools have extremely strict policies on that stuff.

I took a look at that list and i was wondering if anyone could tell me why the wrinkle in time books, the giver, and those robert cormier books are on there.

[This message has been edited by Mycroft (edited 03-07-2005).]

Jon

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my second attempt at a reply, so if this comes up twice, I apologize. My computer (or is it the site?) is running really slowly today. Anyway, I think Cormier was most likely banned because he uses the F word a lot, and I do mean a lot. "The Giver" has been banned because some folks are offended by the euthanasia of senior citizens. I'm guessing "Wrinkle" may have been banned because of all the magic, mysticism, etc. What do the rest of you think?

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper... Not your fault! That darn Resources is running...(limping) slowly again.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, totally off-topic, but that's nothing new.

It's driving me crazy, this "quotation" thing.

Nard has it both ways, like "this" and like 'this'.
''50th Year''
'urban legend'
'diddly-squat'

Then Braling II does it like this- "everyone" who "knows"

When do you use "quotatations" and when do you use 'apostrophes'?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post